Re: Deane Kidd and the Metric System

Chris van Lint

Dennis,

I have to agree that somehow $2.00 does not seem
to fit into a metric system. On the other hand
don't knock the $2.00 coin. Here in Oz we have
$2.00 coins and they are quite handy, because
they are much smaller compared to the $1.00
coins. Our 50 cent coins on the other hand are huge and heavy.

Chris VK4CVL

At 09:04 AM 14/12/2017, you wrote:

About once a week my wife asks me a question which goes something like this:
The recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of xxx per 8oz of yyy, how many ounces of
xxx do I need if I'm making two gallons of yyy?

Our paper currency is metric, but our coinage is a throwback to older times
and it is starting to change as pennies are becoming too worthless to be
bothered with in many cases. As to the rest consider this mess:
* There are five pennies in a nickel
* There are two nickels in a dime
* There are five nickels (or 25 pennies) in a quarter.
* A quarter is a quarter (1/4) of a dollar so there are four in a dollar
* A bit was 1/8th of a dollar so a quarter is also known as "two bits". This
goes back to when the dominant currency was the Spanish dollar (also known
as pieces of eight) which was worth 8 Spanish silver reales. One reale was
one bit.
* A half dollar (a coin most people would rather not have in their pocket
because of its weight) is worth two quarters, four bits, five dimes, ten
nickels, or 50 pennies.
* A dollar is made up of 20 nickels, 10 dimes, 4 quarters, 2 fifty-cent
pieces or any combination that adds up to 100 pennies. Most dollars are
paper but there are silver dollar coins as well although the mint stopped
making them a long time ago so they are more of a collector's item.

Thank goodness we don't have the Looney (the Canadian $2 coin). We do have
the $2 bill but it is not in common usage. It is more a novelty. Some people
believe it is unlucky to receive one.

Dennis Tillman W7PF