Re: New member and owner of a dead 2225

phillip.lyne.barrett

After a marathon session at distributor's web sites, I found a number of perfect fit replacement caps but still missing a few.

What is glaring is the absence of axial cap selection. It looks like these are disappearing fast. Not that I blame the manufacturers - I hate bending leads and would rather use SMDs any day. I was wrong about the axial caps' value - 15 uF, not 10. I wasn't able to find anything at mouser or digikey that matched except for some tant caps that were like $100. Since I need 7 of those, that ain't happening. These aren't in the power supply section so I don't HAVE to replace them. What are people doing in this situation? accepting worse tolerance? Significantly higher voltage (like 100+ for 10V caps), if that's even available?

There is a wonderful selection of SMD caps with tight tolerances for well less than a buck. I could imagine making a tiny little carrier board that would convert the SMD to the right pitch and size to replace an axial cap. Anything wrong with that idea?

Phil