Re: DIY TD Pulser

Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>

I have two of them. One has a bad TD, the other works, but
is easily 10 times slower than the spec's say it should be.

I had heard that when tektronix made them they had no real
way of measuring the pulse risetime, so they guessed.

-Chuck Harris

David davidwhess@gmail.com [TekScopes] wrote:

Why can't you use the random sampling capability on the 7T11? Then at
least no delay line should be required. A power divider might still
be desirable to separate the sampling kickout from the trigger.

Tektronix had a slightly more complex tunnel diode pulse generator
which generated a pretrigger:

<http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/067-0513-00>

It would be interesting to see the inside to see how it was
constructed.

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 23:53:05 +0000, you wrote:

Hey Joseph,

I built one of those, and the complexity/value is not in the circuit. It's
mostly in the characterization of the behavior of the physical construction
of the circuit. Mine has a rise time of ~200ps, as determined by my TDS
784D and some maths. Plenty good to calibrate the transient response of my
485 and 2467, though I do worry about the pre-shoot and overshoot I see on
the TDS.
I'll need to look closer one day, now that I have a 7834, 7S11/7T11 - just
need a decent power splitter and a delay line, and a few more little things
:).

Siggi

Posted by: David <davidwhess@gmail.com>

Yahoo Groups Links