Re: A fool and his money ...OR ... moneywell spent

On 13 Nov 2017 18:11:41 +0000, you wrote:

The test is to coaxially connect the probe tip through a 50 ohm feedthrough termination (Tektronix made this as a special adapter) to
a fast reference level pulse generator like a PG506 (not quite fast enough) or tunnel diode pulser like the Tektronix 067-0681-01 which is what was actually recommended for the 2465 calibration. Then the transient response can be compared with and without the probe on the oscilloscope itself.
I got the Agilent probes and they seem to be performing well with the Tek 2465 CTS but I really can't check the upper part of the bandwidth. I looked at getting a Tektronix 067-0681-01 (Calibration fixture / tunnel diode pulser) and was quite shocked on the availability and cost - more than I paid for the scope, shipping, and three of the four probes. Guess I'll be on the lookout for one of these. Not going to pay $250 that some folks want for these.
The Tektronix 067-0681-01 in particular is pretty expensive but I
think that is because there is high demand from those who do not know
of alternatives.

The Tektronix 067-0513-00 and Type 284 tunnel diode pulse generators
could also be used with a GR874 adapter. Tektronix even made GR874
feedthrough termination to coaxial probe tip adapters which are
intended for exactly this application; the part numbers are
017-0088-00 for miniature probe tips and 017-0520-00 for subminiature
probe tips. They were intended for low-z and active probes much
faster than 300 MHz so would be overkill for your application.

There are some other hobby level fast edge pulse generators available
which could be used. Some are avalanche transistor based and others
use the output signal from a CML or ECL gate.

<https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/yet-another-fast-edge-pulse-generator/>
<http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=124&products_id=295>