Re: Replacing BR-2/3A Batteries

chipbee40

The battery in question is the Panasonic BR2/3A Lithium poly-carbonmonoflouride with a nominal voltage of 3V. I don't change these out unless they are below 3V.They last almost shelf life which is many years. I'm assuming as the OP states these are in 22xx scopes they are in the options for the 2230, or in the 2232 where they do not maintain calibration constants merely saved waveforms and soft data. These are expensive and costly to ship (UPS/Fedex ground only) so I would seriously consider if its worthwhile changing them unless necessary (they don't leak). Not sure about HP equipment, haven't come across them in there. Personally on the 2230/2232 I'd prefer to put a couple of quality AA's in with a note to change them out in a year.. Fluke did this on the PM339x combiscopes.

---In TekScopes@..., <davidwhess@...> wrote :

The common lithium chemistries for this application all have a very
flat discharge curve:

<http://www.tadiranbat.com/compare-lithium-cells.html http://www.tadiranbat.com/compare-lithium-cells.html>

Lithium Thionyl Chloride 3.6 volts: (Tektronix used these)
<https://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?section_id=36&doc_id=1322276 https://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?section_id=36&doc_id=1322276>

Lithium Sulphur Dioxide 3.0 volts: (My HP meter has one of these)
<https://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?section_id=36&doc_id=1323439 https://www.eetimes.com/author.asp?section_id=36&doc_id=1323439>

3.4 volts means that it is a lithium thionyl chloride cell. With such
a small load, the voltage should be more like 3.6 volts so it has
almost reached the end of its life.

Common lithium batteries are lithium manganese dioxide with a terminal
voltage of 3.0 volts. Any of these three types of lithium cells may
be used. I have been using Tadiran Lithium Thionyl Chloride 2/3AA
cells with wire leads because they have the best performance/price:

<https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Tadiran-Batteries/TL2155-P/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtLoaml0iHoQ%2f%2fIdmmZouk5jrbtVEs2eJA%3d https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Tadiran-Batteries/TL2155-P/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtLoaml0iHoQ%2f%2fIdmmZouk5jrbtVEs2eJA%3d>