Re: P6015A HV probe

Herbert

With butane you have to be sure, to load the probe with NO air and by
this with NO oxygen. Else you may have a inflamable mixture, which could
build a real bomb, if arcing happens.

Am 09.11.2017 19:09, schrieb David Wise david_wise@... [TekScopes]:

Does it make a difference that it's in gaseous form?

On Nov 9, 2017, at 11:06 AM, David
@DWH<mailto:@DWH> [TekScopes]
<TekScopes@...<mailto:TekScopes@...>> wrote:

I never considered butane either. My only concern would be its
dielectric strength. Let's see ...

Freon 114 is 1,2-Dichlorotetrafluoroethane with a dielectric strength
of 2.52 compared to nitrogen. Butane has a dielectric strength of 1.5
or 1.7 compared to nitrogen depending on information source.

The breakdown voltage is further increased over nitrogen because the
freon 114 and butane are used at higher than atmospheric pressure.

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 13:34:43 -0000, you wrote:

You know, I have looked long and hard at various replacements for FC114
in recent years, and I had
not considered butane.

But looking at the NIST site for FC114 you get 1.83 atmospheres at 20C,
and with butane you get 2
atmospheres. So similar enough not to lose too much sleep over.

And the dielectric constant of butane gas at 2atm is, not surprisingly
very close to unity 1.0056

I haven't found any data for the gas phase dielectric of FC114, but it
will be likewise very close
to unity.

So, very cautiously, it would appear that butane is a possible
replacement for unobtainium FC114.

Craig