Re: Another scope 7854

Bruce Griffiths

No its just the usual formation of gold-tin intermetallics:

http://www.semlab.com/papers/goldembrittlementofsolderjoints.pdf

http://www.semlab.com/papers/intermetallicsinsolderjoints.pdf

However bonding of aluminium wires to gold pads can result in Aluminium gold intermetallics

One of these intermetallics (AuAl2) is purple (hence the name purple plague) and another (Au5Al2) is white in color.

Bruce

On 05 May 2017 at 16:41 "David @DWH [TekScopes]" <TekScopes@...> wrote:

You reminded me that I know of another failure in these vertical
plug-ins. Some of the early ones have a heavy gold plating on the
printed circuit board traces and the tin-lead solder can eventually
suffer from gold embrittlement breaking the solder connection.

If this happens, resoldering the connection will reveal what I suspect
is Purple of Cassius under the solder.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_of_Cassius>

The solution I found was to use a soldering iron on low heat to
repeatedly add and remove solder until the Purple of Cassius and gold
is removed. The tin in the solder dissolves the gold until the base
metal is reached. This is actually the recommended soldering
technique for heavy gold plating if tin solder is used.

Modern flash gold plating is deliberately thin enough to completely
dissolve into the solder preventing this problem.