Re: TDS754D CRT

David Wilson

I am debating with myself and I think I need your help.

This concerns the CRT and driver board. I'm about to removing this part for inspection. Looking down from the top I don't notice anything broken or burnt visually.

I read that a high pitch sound coming from the fly back transformer is a indication that it is failing. I read that a dim crt usually means it is getting tired, though sometimes it might be the driver board typically it is the crt.

I read on a crt tv forum that a delay before a picture should already come in is a indicator of a dried / bad capacitor. Recapping the board might fix the delay before picture but it might not fix the wining sound or dim picture I seem to have. When I recapped the TDS380 the picture was noticeably sharper.

Since the display still works I could go ahead and recap it and get what I can out of it. Maybe finding a decent CRT is really all I need to get things going like new again. Maybe, don't know about the flyback.

Picture is stable by the way. Noticing no wobble or jitter.

So what is your take on the fly back transformer? Should I recap the board?

Thanks