Tektronix 434 storage scope below 500000 series.

John McGivern <john.mcgivern3@...>

Hi everyone Happy New Year, I posted a fault on above scope (shorted transistor) could anyone advise what possibly caused this transistor to fail? I sent to China for replacement should arrive in about a week. Can anyone advise how to check uA723 10 pin regulator as it is socketed so I can remove from circuit. Any advice is welcome.
Don't want to replace transistor and possibly short it again.
I have replaced most of the electrolytics in power supply that I could buy in UK.
I am struggling to understand how power supply switching transistor works.
Just a novice.
Kind regards, John.

Sent from my iPad