Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2016 9:43 AM
Subject: [TekScopes] Re: 'Improved' Mystery Switch on the 576 and 577 Curve Tracers

It is interesting to hear of the "hobby" interest in safely using the high voltage ranges on tracers who the DUT safety cover. It is commendable since the current is lethal. Professionally, in 25 years at a well known US industrial R&D laboratory now based in Italy, I encountered many Tek tracers. Seldom would there be a cover. But I could generally count on finding a wooden Q-tip jammed into the little micro switch hole! That permanently solved the ambiguity.
I always assumed there could be lethal voltages present on curve tracers till I determined otherwise. I also learned early in my education and from an old GM welding electrician, keep one hand in pocket until you deactivate the lethal voltage.

Posted by: kjo@cryden.com