Re: 'Improved' Mystery Switch on the 576 and 577 Curve Tracers

Hi kjo,
It is one thing if I are using a curve tracer that I own and have complete control over. If I make a mistake and leave it with high voltage on the collector and I get bitten then that is my fault and I have no one else to blame but myself. I speak from personal experience on this one.

But it is entirely different if someone else has created a dangerous situation for you and your coworkers by jamming a Q-tip in the interlock and walking away without removing it or at least placing a warning sign on the curve tracer. That is irresponsible. Someone could be seriously hurt by their carelessness. Management needs to be made aware of the danger to everyone that this creates so they can at least educate the employees to remove the Q-tip when they are done. It is the least they can do.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2016 9:43 AM
Subject: [TekScopes] Re: 'Improved' Mystery Switch on the 576 and 577 Curve Tracers

It is interesting to hear of the "hobby" interest in safely using the high voltage ranges on tracers who the DUT safety cover. It is commendable since the current is lethal. Professionally, in 25 years at a well known US industrial R&D laboratory now based in Italy, I encountered many Tek tracers. Seldom would there be a cover. But I could generally count on finding a wooden Q-tip jammed into the little micro switch hole! That permanently solved the ambiguity.
I always assumed there could be lethal voltages present on curve tracers till I determined otherwise. I also learned early in my education and from an old GM welding electrician, keep one hand in pocket until you deactivate the lethal voltage.

------------------------------------
Posted by: kjo@cryden.com
------------------------------------

Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.