Off Topic - Tek 7K Neon Lamp Replacement

ebrucehunter

Off topic, but related to current discussion. For the neon experts...

As a youngster I experimented with VHF and UHF, WW-2 radar jammers with Letcher wires and neon lamps. While a given neon lamp glowed yellow at VHF frequencies, it changed to purple at UHF. I have never found any explanation for the change in emission lines. I now wonder whether the transition takes place suddenly or gradually. Perhaps the bulbs included a secondary gas that emits only with higher energy excitation. I wish I had a broadband, high-power amplifier with which to explore the transition region.

Bruce, KG6OJI