Re: Tek 2247A [SN B029000] Recap and diode part list ?

Darren Ting

Hi David
At first I also doubt and this is my first time dealing with bipolar elect capacitor.
It is confirm bipolar based on following :-1. The original cap mark with BP and no negative terminal marking like ordinary elect cap.  BP means bipolar.
2. The circuit board does not distinct positive terminal with square foot print unlike other polarized cap positive terminal footprint is square. Both footprint identical in round shape for these two cap.
3. Schematic missing '+' sign at positive terminal. All polarized cap having '+' at positive terminal.
I almost going to put in polarized capacitor.  Thanks to Mike advice else my unit going to explode.
why tektronix use bipolar cap? I also having same questions which I could not answer. End up I make additional order bipolar cap suggested by Mike.  Not safe unless someone know inside out can conclude polarized cap could be use as replacement.
Better don't mess with high power area!!!

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Sat, 19 Mar, 2016 at 12:28, David davidwhess@gmail.com [TekScopes]<TekScopes@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
I do not doubt you but how did you determine that A18C2204 and
A18C2248 are bi-polar?

I took a very close look at the schematic did not see any way in which
either capacitor could be subject to reverse voltage. My guess is
that Tektronix used bi-polar capacitor for some other obscure reason.

On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 14:56:50 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

Hi David,

There are two Capacitors  A18C2204 and A18C2248  [CAP,FXD,ELCTLT:100UF,20%,63V] in this 2247A  using bi-polarized cap, does it save to replace with normal polarized cap?
Any idea why need to use bi-polarized cap in PSU?
Hope to hear your advice

Thanks