What replacement for 22uF tantalum beads?

Tom Gardner

My 485 is, of course, full of 22uF tantalum PTH beads used for
bog-standard decoupling; the first has just shorted out.

Looking for direct replacements shows that low voltages
are readily available at sensible prices, but that the price
of anything above 16V is relatively silly. Being somewhat
stingy, I'd like to use a more modern technology at a
reasonable price.

So, what do people replace them with?

1) Nishicon aluminium electrolytics - if so, which
/range/ is preferred (I suspect this will be my preferred
option, provided performance is satisfactory

2) SMD tants directly soldered onto the board (SMD is
/much/ cheaper than PTH)

3) SMD tants soldered onto a tiny carrier board with
"legs" on the other side. Fiddly but practical.

4) the exorbitantly expensive direct replacement
tant PTH beads

(Some tant beads appear across potentiometers.
I wouldn't replace those with aluminium electrolytics
since they have a significantly higher leakage current
which might affect the pot's setting.)

I care about performance, not about the "authentic
purity" of any reworking.

Thanks