Re: OT 10Mhz references

Greg Muir

It's a matter of what kind of precision you need with regards to what you work with. I became a little frustrated with drift of some less-than-best reference oscillators in some of my test equipment when working at GHz frequencies. I now use a HP Z3816A GPSDO feeding a HP 5087A distribution amplifier whose multiple outputs feed all of the equipment on the bench via their external reference inputs. It's nice when generating or measuring a signal to know that you are basically spot on.

And the reference standard is there if needed to calibrate other oscillators. For that I use either a HP K34-59991A phase comparator, a 3575A gain-phase meter or simply an oscilloscope. The scope and K34 unit is for less demanding applications while the 3575A gives me reference/DUT phase comparisons at 10 MHz down to 1/10 of a degree accuracy.

And, no, I am not a "time nut." My wristwatch runs about 30 seconds fast each month and the old analog clock on the wall keeps me properly on time for everything in my life.

Greg

Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.