Re: OT 10Mhz references

J. L. Trantham

I guess it's a question of what you mean by 'precision'. If you are happy
using WWV as your 'reference' and 'zero-beating' your 'house standard'
against that, then you don't need anything else. However, if you want
something that is 'always right', a GPSDO is hard to beat.

It's also reasonably affordable.

I've had GPSDO's 'die'. Therefore, having the ability to turn it on and
have it up and accurate in 20 or 30 minutes or so is very nice. Having a
separate 'house standard' that you, from time to time, 'adjust' to bring
back 'on frequency' and is more easily replaced is, in my opinion, a good
combination.

Now, if you want to dig deeper into the performance/math of the systems, you
can spend a lifetime (or remaining lifetime, in my case) doing that. It is
quite satisfying if you can spare the time to do it. No pun intended.

Joe