Re: OT 10Mhz references

Craig Sawyers <c.sawyers@...>

On 10/03/2016 7:39 PM, mosaicmerc@yahoo.com [TekScopes] wrote:

Hi all:
I'm hoping to ref. a Rigol DSA815, a Rigol DG1022A sig gen and an HP
8753D VNA....to a good 10Mhz ref.
I see a heap of them here:
http://stores.ebay.com/Flyingbests-Equipment/High-reliability-OCXO-
/_i.html?_fsub=908870013&_sid=282770553&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
http://stores.ebay.com/Flyingbests-Equipment/High-reliability-OCXO-
/_i.html?_fsub=908870013&_sid=282770553&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

IDK what voltage is optimal or which unit to chose (*sine/square,
single or double OXCO) and need some advice on this.
tx
Other ways of skinning the cat is a 10MHz Rb oscillator. Main ones are Efratom and FEI. Lots from
USA and China from decommissioned comms racks. Also lots of options - sine, square, ones that have
a synthesiser so you can set the frequency over quite wide limits (but that increases the spurs
quite a lot) - lots of info on the web.

Or (what I use) is a GPS standard - a Trimble Thunderbolt from eBay. That locks to the Caesium
standards in orbit, so is bang on frequency to 1 part in 10 to the lots of zeroes, and about 20fs
noise. You need a bullet antenna too - I've got mine on a short pole attached to the end gable of
the house. Supported by Tboltmon (s/ware from Trimble, or Lady Heather (again lots on web).

But both those options are relatively expensive as compared with an ovenised clock module.

With that in mind, the Trimble 10MHz OCXO is the core of the Thunderbolt - and that is on your list.
That has ultralow phase noise, measured here http://www.ke5fx.com/tbolt.htm

But it depends on how accurate you want your 10MHz, and what phase noise/Allen deviation you want.
And how deep your pocket. And how anal you are (I'm pretty anal).