Re: 7854 Repair & Restoration

Ed Breya

This just occurred to me, from the depths of memory. If your problem is intermittent connections on the vertical amplifier hybrids, it may be wise to pull them out and inspect the leads. I have seen a few times on various ICs, and maybe on these kind too, where a part was improperly installed such that a lead got crumpled up or bent over, yet still made contact with the socket pin even though it wasn't actually inserted. When this happens, it can work just fine for many years, but can eventually lose contact. If this is the case here, it may be as simple as carefully straightening out the lead, and properly reinstalling the device. I haven't followed this discussion closely, and don't know what steps have been done, so please disregard this if it's redundant.

Ed