Re: Tektronic 466 - Storage Modes inop

Tim Phillips <tim@...>

from Tim P (UK)
Aha !! The manual for the 5111 storage 'scope specifies a turn-on procedure for an instrument that has not been used for a while (2 wks) or from new.
With power OFF, Upper and lower store ON, brightness MAX, power up. This "reduces the ion content in the CRT" (from the manual), wait for the screen to flood. After 5 minutes ,do a couple of Erases, then U/L Store OFF. The full story is on pp1-4 of the 5111 manual, but, of course, I don't know whether this procedure is specific to the 5000 storage scopes or even that CRT.
Tim

----- Original Message -----
To: <TekScopes@...>
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 3:54 AM
Subject: [TekScopes] Re: Tektronic 466 - Storage Modes inop

I don't know if this will help, but it may be a good idea to let it cook for a few hours, especially if it hasn't been run in a few years. I have a 577 D1 storage type on which the display looks awful when first turned on, in storage mode, with a big pincushion green background that can't be turned off. After running for about twenty minutes, and a few erase cycles, it blanks out nicely.

If it doesn't settle down, you may want to check and tweak the flood gun circuits. Once the basic operation is confirmed, you can check the screen and storage mesh by filling the display - just set up for a free-running sweep, and work the vertical position up and down until the whole thing is written. Ideally, it should present a uniform filled green screen. You'll see any bad spots or after-images.

Ed

Join TekScopes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.