Re: Viable alternative to Yahoo

stefan_trethan

This comes up every few months.
Short story is, as much as people dislike and distrust yahoo, in the
end it turns out they distrust you even more (hard truth, I know).

And they definitely do not like change, at all.

Until yahoo croaks for good (which is likely) you are wasting your time.
Time and time again yahoo has introduced ever more stupid changes, and
people said, right, that's it, we gotta be outta here. Nothing ever
happened. I have become convinced we hang on to the bitter end, even
if it comes down to communicating in morse code by clicking on
advertisements.

One suggestion that comes up most times is that the best option would
be to tack ourselves onto an exsisting reliable forum if yahoo goes
away. EEV blog from Dave Jones was named before as an example. As much
as I may dislike the personality the man runs a tidy ship and it would
seem entirely reasonable to me to use an established platform rather
than have someone set up something new.

ST

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 6:09 AM, Dwayne Verhey tekscopes@...
[TekScopes] <TekScopes@...> wrote:
Who said anything about charging or paying? I do not propose any fees
(or advertising -- I hate advertising). I already have the bandwidth and
storage to support this.

I was thinking of Mailman for an e-mail discussion list, or PHPBB for a
web forum. Mailman has a web archive similar to Yahoo, but no means of
submitting or replying via the web interface. PHPBB has e-mail
notification capability, but posts are only via the web interface. If
the ability to post from both e-mail and a web UI is important, I could
try setting up a Drupal based site with Mailman integration, but I've
not tried that before, so there would be a learning curve at my end.

On 25/01/2016 9:25 PM, David @DWH [TekScopes] wrote:

I doubt anybody is going to pay for it except voluntarily.

It would not be a replacement unless it support both email and web
access. Personally I have no idea how people put up with web access
to technical discussion forums but it is a good feature to have for
less experienced users. At the same time it is a lot less convenient
and useful than a simple email list server.