Re: TDS754A printer compatibiliy

Tothwolf

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016, edbreya@... [TekScopes] wrote:

I tried the laserjet and almost every other one too, but it didn't work with the Brother HL-2040. I'm wondering if maybe the printer's communication and format settings can be changed via a PC hooked up to it. I don't recall ever seeing any explicit provision for that in printers, since the drivers usually take care of all the details.
I'm not sure if this will help, but I have a HL-2070N which is the same basic printer as the HL-2040 but it also has a network interface. The default mode for the 2070N is the Epson FX-850 but it can be switched to the IBM Proprinter XL via its built-in webserver based configuration page.

If you happen to need it sometime, I have the service manual for these printers in pdf format. I don't remember where I got it from but Brother doesn't seem to make it publicly available.

Also, if you ever begin to have trouble with the printer not feeding paper, pick up a LM6291001 paper feeding kit (mine was ~$15 from a printer supply company). The feed roller assembly in these printers seems to last for about 20k-25k pages after which the textured roller surface is worn too much to reliably pull paper from the paper tray. Installing the roller requires quite a bit of disassembly (and you have to carefully align the marks on the gears while installing it), but following the diagrams in the service manual makes it pretty easy.

If you have trouble with double-feeds, there is a small rubber dampening pad for the feed solenoid that breaks down and turns into a sticky tar-like goo. Removing it solves the problem, although after removing it, you can definitely hear an audible click when the solenoid pulls in.