Re: 7603 Strange HV Need Help

I would actually rank the TI sockets as a larger problem than tantalum
capacitors. The capacitors unambiguously fail and are relatively easy
to find and replace. The sockets become intermittent with no visible
sign and replacing them is a much more involved procedure.

On 21 Jan 2016 14:21:24 -0800, you wrote:

The problems with TI sockets and ICs with silver plated leads are well known, and have been discussed here a number of times over the years. Unfortunately, Tek used a helluva lot of them in many of our favorite instruments from that era. I believe they are one of the main causes of problems - especially strange and intermittent ones. I'd rank the TI problem well below the usual bad Ta caps and worn out Al caps, but it's up there somewhere near the top of the list.

Ed