Re: 314/335 Volts/Div Knob

Tothwolf

On Thu, 24 Dec 2015, John Clark johnclark05@... [TekScopes] wrote:

Sorry Raymond, you're correct. The Ch 2 is, in fact, the light colored knob. Tek calls the light color "gray" and the darker one "charcoal gray." Whatever colors they are now I'm sure aren't what they were when they were new.

Anyhow, the parts diagram shows it all as one knob assembly, but like you, I decided not to try and remove it even from my non-working unit as it's not worth the trouble. It does look like if you could get the knobs off you could probably push a small diameter rod through the hole from the back side and push out the cap. I just don't know what would be gained by getting access inside the cap. I'm pretty sure it could be glued on with no future adverse affects. I've never done the solvent welding with plastic so I'll have to read up a bit on that. There's no real reason to do anything with the small crack on the knob as I can't even close it up by squeezing it together.
Unfortunately, if the surfaces won't fit together without a gap, solvent welding isn't going to be possible. For gap filling of broken plastics, you would need a compatible plastic to use as filler which could be either solvent or thermally welded in place.

If the cap is just a cosmetic part, gluing it in place with rubber cement probably is going to be the best route. I've also had some success using "Goop" to glue such things in place, however I've had problems with the solvents in Goop attacking some styrene and pvc plastics, so you have to be careful with what you use it on.