Re: Tek Old Timer Question

stefan_trethan

Huh, I didn't know that! I usually just buy "magnet wire" at
Radio Shack or some other electronics outfits and have been
doing this since 1980 without noticing that it doesn't work.

Is there a way to tell if a wire is not solderable (other than
trying to solder it)?

mike
I have come across some that didn't break down even at temp full up.
At my suppliers some is declared "not solderable", esp. with high-temp wire it seems common.

Once had a reddish variety that didn't work that way, but i don't think color is an indicator.
Most of the wire i've seen can be tinned with your method tho..
You will notice if you pull the drop away if it is not properly tinned...

ST