Re: Tek 2230 PSU

Thomas Drage

Thanks David - good idea on testing the inverter.

I replaced C944 and powered it up....I ramped slowly up to about 25V and it seemed to work fine. The inverter drive works (viewed pulse train on CRO). The LED lit, the fan spun and "beam find" worked.

At just over 25V, the current increases dramatically and my supply limited at 4A. I'm not sure if this is due to the digital section powering up as the CRT display also changed at that point...but also could have been because voltage would have been all over the place.

The first time I did this I got a small puff of smoke - couldn't see where it had come from. I did it again, no smoke, worked okay until I pushed it back over 25V and then there was another puff of smoke and current increase. I can't quite see what component released the smoke! It was somewhere in the region of the pre-reg: around CR920 (currently disconnected). Nothing looks burned at this point but I think I need to do some more digging.