Re: HPIB/GPIB adapter

Vince Vielhaber

50 points will probably take 15 to 25 seconds. If you want to do it in a
second or two, you'll be better off with a sweep generator. The drawback
with a sweep generator is if you're testing something and the DUT fails or
has a problem in the middle of the sweep, you don't know what the freq was
where it happened. If you're not worried about that or don't care, a
sweep generator will be the way to go.

Vince.

On Fri, October 2, 2015 8:47 pm, Bob Albert bob91343@yahoo.com [TekScopes]
wrote:
The only missing information is how much time it will take for a sweep.
If a sweep with 50 points can be accomplished in a second or two, that
would be fast enough.
I may end up having to buy a sweep generator but those don't come cheaply
if they are any good.
Bob

On Friday, October 2, 2015 4:20 PM, "vev@michvhf.com [TekScopes]"
<TekScopes@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

On Fri, October 2, 2015 7:03 pm, Bob Albert bob91343@yahoo.com [TekScopes]
wrote:
I guess what want is to learn what to look for.  I don't have any of
the
common uses for this interface; I just want to send commands that can't
come from the front panel.  In particular, I want to make a sweep
generator out of my 8657B, which has no sweep function but perhaps can
do
that via the GPIB.
Any comments on this?  Perhaps it's not feasible or practical but
this
interface costs a lot less than a decent sweep generator.
Bob
Bob, the answer is yes and no. While you can write a program or script to
send the commands to the 8657, it will take time for the 8657 to process
it and set the freq. You'll end up with a staircase instead of a sweep.
The more steps you want to include, the longer it will take to complete.
If you try to send the commands too quickly, you'll miss steps and the
generator will give you a bunch of errors.

Vince.
--
Michigan VHF Corp. http://www.nobucks.net/ http://www.CDupe.com/
http://www.foggymist.com The Foggy Mist Emporium