Re: RM503 ongoing repair saga T620 UNWOUND.

Dave Wise

Chuck wrote:

Saturation testing is pretty meaningless in a gapped core. It
will be very hard to saturate, and will not saturate under any
condition that the primary will withstand.
Thank you for your knowledge and information, Chuck, but I respectfully disagree on this point. Although most of the energy is concentrated in the gap, if you push the flux high enough, the core will still saturate, and beyond that point your coil approximates an air-core coil. When I was making a replacement HV transformer for my HP 740B, I tested a gapped TV flyback core with a switched voltage source. There was a breakpoint where the current ramp went near vertical because of the loss of permeability at saturation. I blew up a few transistors exploring this. :)

Dave Wise