Re: Scope probe recommendations

Dale H. Cook

At 08:34 AM 9/18/2014, David wrote:

I am confused on the probe MHz rating. Should this match the MHz rating of the oscilloscope?
It should match or exceed the bandwidth of the 'scope if you want to use all of that bandwidth. For example, most of the vertical attenuator ranges on my Tek 453 are specified as "DC to 50 MHz or greater," and I use 60 MHz probes. Note that your current probe exceeds the bandwidth of your 'scope.

For a multi-channel 'scope it is advisable to use a set of probes of the same type, especially if viewing two or more channels at the same time. I use sets of the same types of probes for my 'scopes, one per vertical input plus one for the external trigger input.

Are aftermarket probes as good quality wise as the Tek?
I have never seen an aftermarket probe that is as good a quality as a Tek probe, and Tek probes will likely be, even used, more expensive than alternatives. Other factors may affect your choice. A suitable 1x/10x Tek probe may be unavailable or difficult to find. If your needs are not critical (from your description they are not) you may be satisfied with some of the better quality of aftermarket probes. Others here can advise what they have used for a Tek 2465.

As with many things in electronics, you generally get what you pay for. A $10 Chinese probe sold on eBay will probably not be very satisfactory.

Dale H. Cook, GR / HP Collector, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/index.html