Re: tantalum capacitor color code

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 10:37:55 -0400, you wrote:

At 09:34 AM 9/8/2014, edbreya wrote:

Even in real life with good lighting it's sometimes hard to discern the colors on poorly marked parts, but extra context helps to eliminate certain combinations.
That is why it is nice to have a presumed good specimen to measure.
I either look the value up in the service manual or find the same part in some
other area to measure. The color codes on dipped tantalums are just too
unreliable.

I rarely care about the voltage rating though because I usually voltage derate
the replacement part anyway based on what is inexpensively available. I have a
local electronics store which has various NOS solid tantalums but their
selection is somewhat eccentric.