Re: About the cable used in oscilloscope probes

EricJ

Actually if you miss anywhere with your cleaning it's pretty immediately obvious - the solder doesn't stick there. I would agree that the ultrasonic procedure is probably accomplishing the same exact thing though, and certainly the better, faster procedure for any sort of production work.

--Eric

On Jan 13, 2014 2:21 AM, Don Black <donald_black@...> wrote:

I think that's the same type of process as the ultrasonic tinning in that it lifts off the oxide layer. The ultrasonic cleaning probably cleans the entire surface better whereas the rubbing may miss spots. One's better for production, the other fine for one off's. I think any flux would have to be carefully selected to ensure no long term corrosion. The Wharfedale speakers are still going strong after 40+ years. With mechanical cleaning in the molten solder it shouldn't need any flux.

Don Black.

On 13-Jan-14 11:48 AM, wyzkydd2358@... wrote:

Aluminum can be easily soldered using regular old leaded solder using the right trick. You don't even need any special flux. Take your soldering iron and dab some fresh solder on so there's a ball of molten solder hanging from the tip and apply it to the aluminum to be soldered. Using the iron's tip lightly abrade the aluminum surface with a scraping motion, and the oxide layer will be wiped right off, allowing the solder to properly adhere.

On Jan 12, 2014 6:08 PM, David <davidwhess@...> wrote:

I assume then that the aluminum tabs on can capacitors are tinned in this way. I
always wondered how they did that.

I have also seen copper plated aluminum wire.