Re: About the cable used in oscilloscope probes

Don Black <donald_black@...>

I don't know what is used now but in his sixties books GA Briggs of Wharfedale speaker fame mentions they tinned the aluminium voice coil wire using an ultrasonic solder pot. The ultrasonic energy causes cavitation that strips off the surface oxidation under the solder surface, excluding the air.
I think it would likely work with nichrome too.

Don Black.

On 13-Jan-14 4:16 AM, David wrote:

Difficult to solder metals can often be handled by cleaning and etching with
hydrochloric acid and then depositing copper via electrolysis and an easily
acquired solution of copper sulphate or copper nitrate. I would worry about
strain relief of the wire at the edge of the solder joint though.