Re: Somewhat Off-Topic -- Reversed Electrolytic Capacitor

ebrucehunter

I found that I was in error when I reported that current in the reversed electrolytic capacitor soared when I applied the proper polarity.  I overlooked the fact that the reverse-connected bridge rectifier was still in the circuit.  After removing the capacitor and testing it independently, the leakage current, when polarized in the proper direction was in the hundreds of microamperes range and very slowly decreased as a constant potential was applied.  Leakage at 15 volts in the reversed direction was about 200 microamperes.

The capacitor was acting more or less like a non-polarized electrolytic.

Bruce