(long) Influences of the G.D. court cards on the RWS court cards

s2845543@...

As I have written before, I'm comparing the G.D. court cards to Waite's
court cards. I'll not go into detail on the differences between Cicero's,
Wang's, and the cards from Kuntz's booklet, but would like to make two
general observations :

1. Wang has not drawn some of the details that appear in the cards from
Kuntz's booklet and the Ciceros' deck, even though Book T explicitly
mentions some of those details.
I got the impression that Wang left those details out intentionally,
so that it would be easier for one to see the cards in his mind's eye
and "step into" the card.

2. I recall someone on the list commenting that one of the Golden Dawn's
method of reading the cards depended on the direction the significator
court card looked at, possibly in the context of trying to use the method
from Crowley's BoT and w/ Crowley's deck and being buffled by the fact
some court cards look forward and not sideways.

In this context I couldnt find any material saying in which direction
each court card should look. If memory serves me, Wang's and Cicero's
court cards agree with each other on this point, but not with the court
cards from Kuntz's booklet.

In post number 19698 I've mentioned possible influences of the G.D. queen
of swords on Waite's queen of swords. As James Revark noted, I have confused
some biblical characters. Jael and Judith are heroines. I got confused with
Salome, who is also drawn with a decapitated head and is the viceous one of
the three.

And now for influences I've found :

1. Book T uses the association of Wands-Fire-Salamanders. Salamanders appear
on Waite's court cards of the suit of wands.

The association predates the G.D., and salamanders do not appear on the
G.D. court cards of the suit of wands, but I think this is note worthy.

2. The Golden Dawn queen of wands has a leopard at her feet and leopard's
head ornaments. The Waite card features a leopard's head cuirass, two
leopards on the back of the seat, and two leopards on the sides of the
seat, though those could arguably be lions.

3. The Golden Dawn prince of wands is seated in a chariot pulled by a lion
and has lion head ornaments (reasonable, considering the prince of wand
rules the first two decans of Leo). Waite's king of wands features lions
on the seat's back, and a lion's head on a chain.

4. Just to clarify a point from my post on the queen of swords - the G.D.
queen of swords has a winged child's head ornaments, per Book T, and
Waite's queen of swords has a winged child's head on the chair.

Yes, I know it's due to the association of the card with the element of
air, but this graphical element appears in both decks.

5. The Golden Dawn prince of swords carries a sickle in his hand, is seated
in a chariot carried by fairies, and "bears as a crest a winged angelic head".
Waite's king of swords has a similar crest, and fairies and sickles are
featured on the seat's back.

6. Waite's knight features david shields, which appear on the Golden Dawn king
of pentacles and book T calls for hexagrams on the card.

7. The Golden Dawn's queen of pentacles features a goat and goat ornaments, as
called for by book T (the card rules the first two decans of capricorn
according to the G.D.), and Waite's queen of pentacles features goat heads
on the side of the seat.

8. The Golden Dawn's prince of pentacles is seated in a chariot carried by a
bull and features bull head ornaments, as called for by book T (the card
rules the first two decans of Taurus according to the G.D.), and Waite's
king of pentacles features several bull heads.

I admit up front (or rather way down the post) that this isnt much, but to me
it looks like Waite's court cards were influenced in a minor way by the Golden
Dawn court cards.

--
| Uri Raz | s2845543@... | kaum vit litz, tor lod vike. |

Join TarotL@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.