Tannoy Edinburgh #edinburgh

Yoram Gold

Hi, Has any body ever tried to replace in Tannoy Edinburgh the Drivers from 12" 3149 to 15" ?? if so can we get some feedback and details of the new sound and the process ??

Thanks
Yoram

paul goodwin

Hello Yoram and you may find this interesting -

On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 at 11:39, paul goodwin via groups.io <paulgoodwin1949=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Yoram and you may find this interesting -

On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 at 00:20, Yoram Gold <yoram611@...> wrote:
Hi, Has any body ever tried to replace in Tannoy Edinburgh the Drivers from 12" 3149 to 15" ?? if so can we get some feedback and details of the new sound and the process ??

Thanks
Yoram

gary oraniuk <garyoraniuk@...>

Hello All

Whilst not having the deluxe grade equipment most of you will have, I do enjoy my Tannoy 12" HPDs.
One of the group suggested once-and he has done this-that one hangs 3 balls inside the cabinets
(mine are Cheviots) inside the cabinets.
This, I would think, is the sheer plastic-like fabric one would line one's cabinets with (I did).
This man says that these balls knock out the standing waves inside the cabinet and produce perfect bass.
I have not done this so far, as I will not be doing any open heart surgery on my cabs for some time,
though I am tempted, just for interest's sake-but I am busy, busy, busy with other, more important
matters right now, so that one will have to wait.
A tech friend, an authorised Yamaha  repairer, was very cuffed when I mentioned that one,one day, and
thanked me for the suggestion/idea.
This man is amazing at his maths, and has been working on some very expensive Italian PA speakers
he bought, and said, a few night ago, that he has all the parameters nigh on perfect and the sound of
these little babies is superb-and this man tells no lies.
This may be an inexpensive fix for people who like to tinker with their Tannoys, so perhaps you might
all take this one into consideration?
Once I have the time, I might give it a crack myself.
See how you go?

The cabinet-building process was a lot of fun.
Only a couple of boo-boos.

Best regs

Gary

Geelong, Australia.

On Tuesday, 27 July 2021, 06:42:00 pm AEST, paul goodwin <paulgoodwin1949@...> wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 at 11:39, paul goodwin via groups.io <paulgoodwin1949=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Yoram and you may find this interesting -

On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 at 00:20, Yoram Gold <yoram611@...> wrote:
Hi, Has any body ever tried to replace in Tannoy Edinburgh the Drivers from 12" 3149 to 15" ?? if so can we get some feedback and details of the new sound and the process ??

Thanks
Yoram

hans hilberink

Hi Tannerds,

I do have some Tannoy speaker sets, and the Cheviots as well, at the moment with 12' MG's inside, and the 12' HPDs at rest.

I also have 15' MG's, 15 HPD's resting. and 10' DC's daily used and more.

To my experience the MG 12 and 15 sound very sweet and very similar. The HPD 15 and 12 too: very much the same sound.

The Cheviot is a excellent speaker considering its price and size: a true winner!!!

You may do some small improvements to the Cheviot, but mainly leave it as is: its 99% ok.

3149 Tannoys I have too, but its a very different league, these speakers are intended for ie. PA use. You may use them for home HiFi, but the cabinet must be very different, as well as the x-over. The Tannoy PA x-over is useless for home HiFi use as are most PA cabinets.
Since the 3149 has a specific frequency curve, that is different from the HPD 12 or 15, you need to do compensation in the cabinet and x-over.
The 3149 and similar have a quite
exorbitantly mid and low mid-range. So you need to tame that behaviour.
If you do that you can experience that these series 31xx speakers have a nice and clean low range but not very emphasized in the whole freq. curve. So bringing the whole freq. curve into balance may be the way to go with these Tannoy models. The tweeters are quite muted compared to how they should be in home HiFi use. Also you see that often the tweeters are damaged by too much power in PA use with the 31xx models. Not the best choice of Tannoy.

Changing from 12 to 15 inch Tannoys can bring some extra, in mainly efficiency, but is in fact not needed considering the 12' can sound as nealy perfect to the 15' model, to my experience at least.

Have a nice day,

Cheers,
Hans.

--
Hans Hilberink
The Tannoy Monitor Gold website

gary oraniuk <garyoraniuk@...>

Well said Hans.
Like I said once: "I do not want to have a psychotic relationship with my ears!"
The three balls thing is about it for me, when i get around to it.

Gary

On Tuesday, 27 July 2021, 07:24:47 pm AEST, hans hilberink <hans.hilberink@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your reply, I didn’t quite understand the story with the 3 balls, how large are they ? what are they made of ? where and how high do you hang them ? I would not try it until I see some pictures and get some feedback from people who tried it.

I love my Edinburgh Cabinets 200 liters they are very well built they remind the Canterbury SE or GR which are 235 liters with 15” MGs that’s why I asked if anybody tried to replace the 12” drivers of the Edinburgh with 15” ones ?

Best regards

Yoram

[...]

Hi Paul,

Yes I have seen it before and asked you a while ago for the details of the crossover that improved so much the bass and the performance, but you could not give it to me you only sent me a picture of it , if its such a big improvement I am sure that if you manufacture them all the Edinburgh owners would buy them from you.

Best regards

Yoram

Hello Yoram and you may find this interesting -

On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 at 00:20, Yoram Gold <yoram611@...> wrote:

Hi, Has any body ever tried to replace in Tannoy Edinburgh the Drivers from 12" 3149 to 15" ?? if so can we get some feedback and details of the new sound and the process ??

Thanks
Yoram

Yoram Gold

Hi Hans,

Thank you so much for your reply, so your recommendation is to: “ So bringing the whole freq. curve into balance may be the way to go”.

Do you mean to change the Crossover ? change to what ?? or how do I do it ? by the way the Professional Line mostly do not use 3149 they use 3169 which is almost the same but its built for higher power.

Best regards

Yoram

[...]

imi

Now that looks familier..!!

On 27 Jul 2021, at 11:56 pm, serenechaos1 <zig000@...> wrote:

<image0.png>

[...]

I am not sure about the size of these things, but will ask the man who put this one up.
He is in the Group, but has said nothing in reply yet, though he may not have seen the posts.
I will forward this to him, and perhaps he will make a statement?

Gary

On Wednesday, 28 July 2021, 08:41:35 am AEST, Yoram Gold <yoram611@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Gary, please let me know.

Gary , take a look what someone by the name: on behalf of; imi [i_amin@...], I believe it’s a joke ???

[...]

Will do.
Maybe it is bed time in Lithuania, where this guy lives?

Gary

[...]

No. They are cojones!!!

[...]

Hi Yoram,

You are right the 3169 is the reinforced version of the 3149.

With the HiFi home version of the 3149/69 you have to start at the "mother" version of the initial DC x-over version. Like the HPD 385 x-over, or the SRM 15 is also a version that is close to the "mother" version of the DC 15 x-over.

Thats the way to start building a new x-over, then increase the High main series capacitor from 4.7 to 6.8 µF if you like that better. Then you may add the 1 Ohms resistor to the low paralel capacitor if you like that better and increase that cap to up to 16 or 22 µF: just as you like it.

Etc. etc. etc., find your personal taste here.

If you have any questions: feel invited to ask.

cherio,
Hans.