Tannoy HPD 315 driver (single) needed #Cheviot

dannie.burger@...

Hello,

I'm in need of a single HPD 315 driver to match one of the two HPD 315 drivers I already have. The ones I have sound different from each other and have different serial numbers:

1 HPD 315 driver srn: 31/ 209199
Measures 5,9 Ohm woofer and 11,2 Ohm tweeter

1 HPD 315 driver srn: 31/ 222047
Measures 5,3 Ohm woofer and 11,0 Ohm tweeter

If there's anyone having a driver close to one of them, please contact me. Rotten foam surrounds is not a problem.

Greetings,
Dannie

Alex Foreman <alexus_soarz@...>

Hey Dannie, as far as tannoy serial numbers go , those sound acceptable,  what differences in sound are you having between the 2 , sometimes the hf alignment and balancing with shims in these isnt very close and needs a bit of work to get both drivers sounding the same , even the dc resistance of the drivers dont seem too far off ball park

I'm in need of a single HPD 315 driver to match one of the two HPD 315 drivers I already have. The ones I have sound different from each other and have different serial numbers:

1 HPD 315 driver srn: 31/ 209199
Measures 5,9 Ohm woofer and 11,2 Ohm tweeter

1 HPD 315 driver srn: 31/ 222047
Measures 5,3 Ohm woofer and 11,0 Ohm tweeter

If there's anyone having a driver close to one of them, please contact me. Rotten foam surrounds is not a problem.

Greetings,
Dannie

dannie.burger@...

Okay! One of them sounds much softer than the other. What's best way to start with the shims?

Here are some pictures of the drivers> I have the original back covers also

Greetings,

Dannie

Raoul Duke

Dannie, I guess you swapped the crossovers to check one of them is not the reason? Switches on HPD crossovers can need cleaning. Your drivers specs are well matched, better than most I think. Check carefully all solder joints on crossovers as well. I dont luke the greem resistors thet used and tend to replace those. Next after crossovers I would check that the HF units on the back are properly centered and screws not overtightened. If you take the HF units off clean the magnet gap to make sure there is no metal oxide or debris in there. I'm sure you dont need another driver.

dannie.burger@...

Hello,

Yes I swapped the drivers in each others cabinets. I just checked both HF units. They have the same amount of shimms. Cleaned the gaps en recentered the HF units. Can't listen right now, my daughter of 4 months just woke up :-)

I'll post some more pictures from the drivers

A company called 'SpeakerFix' in Belgium seem to have refoamed these

gary oraniuk <garyoraniuk@...>

Just hit them with a hammer.
They should be okay then!!!

On Friday, 8 January 2021, 10:15:58 pm AEDT, Alex Foreman <alexus_soarz@...> wrote:

[...]

I probably will, when it turns out I can't get them right. Paid a lot of money to hear the Tannoy magic, so far I'm very disappointed! The guy I bought them from said they were equally matched and had the same serial numbers...

Well, they look good in my attic otherwise...

dannie.burger@...

Just had a listen, no change in balance after cleaning and centering.

So I took out the shimms from the tweeter that plays less loud and had a listen. This gives a clear improvement to the output.

Is this an accepted, 'right' way to balance them out?

Fraser King

Definitely keep trying with the adjustments of the HF diaphragms , I spent many hours tinkering before I got mine to match - literally years after I got them from Lockwood before I stumbled on a match . Lockwood replaced the “off” tweeter and it still didnt sound as good as the good one .Took many failed attempts before I got it to match. Seem to remember i had it very loose to get it to match the good one - finger tight screws in rear. I don’t ever want to play with it again! Now they sound identical.
Keep trying!

On 8 Jan 2021, at 14:44, dannie.burger@... wrote:

Hello,

Yes I swapped the drivers in each others cabinets. I just checked both HF units. They have the same amount of shimms. Cleaned the gaps en recentered the HF units. Can't listen right now, my daughter of 4 months just woke up :-)

I'll post some more pictures from the drivers

A company called 'SpeakerFix' in Belgium seem to have refoamed these
<20210108_095402.jpg>
<20210108_121423.jpg>
<20210108_121432.jpg>
<20210108_121438.jpg>
<20210108_121445.jpg>

Merlin Garnett

Had the same issue until used the following tip.. from someone on this group I think..

This is to centre the HF voice coil properly, if that is the issue.

Play white noise from low power amp e.g. headphone amp directly into tweeter at low volume while making final adjustments to position. You will hear when the tweeter is free - the full roar of noise, rather than a filtered phasey sound if not centred properly.

You do need to take care not to put too much LF into the tweeter obviously.

I used shims to adjust for minor level differences first. This was a while ago but that’s how I remember it. Good luck.

Merlin

On 9 Jan 2021, at 21:55, Fraser King via groups.io <fraserking1@...> wrote:

[...]

Przemyslaw Zajder

Hi

I have one spare HPD 315 driver in perfect condition, which I can consider to sell.

Regards