Winlink to a TM-D710 through an RT Systems USB-K5G cable

David Hightower

Well, should it work?

I use RT's software and cable to program the memory in my 710.  Works fine.

I wanted to get my feet wet with Winlink, so I loaded up the software, moved the RT cable to the COM port on the back of the control head, and fired it up.

The software (RMS Express) sees the radio. In the software, I set a-band or b, 1200 or 9600 baud, and the radio dutifully changes too. The software reports seeing the radio as well.

But when I tell the software to connect it reports trying, but the radio never actually keys up and transmits.

My question for the group is: am I set up right? Since I have NO experience with Winlink or packet, I suspect I am missing something obvious (it wouldn't be the first time!)

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

Bob KE6GYD

Don't know if the RT systems cable will work.  Others may know.

 I use the Kenwood PG5G cable to interface radio with computer for some APRS software.  The PG5G has a serial db9 end so a usb to serial adapter was used.   It connects to the head to make use of the TNC in there.
KE6GYD

David Hightower

Thanks KE6GYD.

RT says their cable does anything the Kenwood cable does. I might have to spring for the Kenwood cable. Meanwhile by posting here I'm fishing for comments about my approach in general. Assuming all I need is a better cable, am I otherwise on the right track?

73,
Dave