Topics

Where's the [STEP] button?

Steve Matzura

I've owned my TM-D700A for probably fifteen years now, but have never needed to change the default step size ... until now. The manual says:

1 Press the left or right [BAND SEL] to select band A or
B.
• If necessary, press [F], then the same [BAND SEL] to
recall the sub-band.
2 Press [VFO].
3 Press [F], [STEP].
• The current step size appears and blinks.
4 Press [c]/ [d] to select the desired step size.

I've looked through the PDF, I've looked at the control head when in VFO mode, looked at the buttons on the microphone, but cannot figure this one out. Fifteen years, and I don't know where the STEP button is? H'mmm.

Thanks in advance.

Rich Cite Tow

I've got a TM-D710GA, not an D700A. My manual says:

Select VFO mode (press the VFO button on the left side of the display)
Enter Menu Mode (for 710, Press the F key and the channel select knob)
Rotate the channel select knob to RX/TX and press the knob
Rotate the channel select knob to menu 101 - Step size
Rotate the channel select knob to your desired step size
Press back and escape to retain the new setting.

I know your radio is different. The reason I sent this is if you can get into your menu, you should be able to find the step size menu. I don't think its a button.
Good luck
Rich KK6CCR
Rotate the channel select knob to view/select the step size.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 2:14 PM Steve Matzura <number6@...> wrote:
I've owned my TM-D700A for probably fifteen years now, but have never
needed to change the default step size ... until now. The manual says:

1 Press the left or right [BAND SEL] to select band A or
B.
• If necessary, press [F], then the same [BAND SEL] to
recall the sub-band.
2 Press [VFO].
3 Press [F], [STEP].
• The current step size appears and blinks.
4 Press [c]/ [d] to select the desired step size.

I've looked through the PDF, I've looked at the control head when in VFO
mode, looked at the buttons on the microphone, but cannot figure this
one out. Fifteen years, and I don't know where the STEP button is? H'mmm.

Thanks in advance.

Keith Kaiser

The large tune button is a push button, push it and you'll change the MHz mode.

Steve Matzura

Sorry, my menu structure only goes to 4, and the Special Communications menu makes no mention of altering the default step size via the menu system.

On 11/3/2020 7:02 PM, Rich Cite Tow wrote:
[...]

Randy Allen

Looking at page 16 of them Manual (Page 22 of the PDF) you press the function key to change the soft key assignments of the keys along the bottom of the display.

Depending on how you have the menus set up, you might either have to press the [F] Key once to bring up the set of buttons that include Step, or press and hold the [F] key for 1 second to get to the third tier.

The defaults are: F Tone REV Low Mute CTRL

[F] FOFF TSEL SHIFT STEP VISUAL DIM

Press [F]  1 second  FOFF List PMON BCON POS

(Mine is set up so that the APRS functions are the primary those are the ones I use the most daily.  I almost never program a frequency on the go except during an ARES drill or public service event.  Which set of buttons is in which tier is controlled by Menu 1-1-5, Display, KEY FUNC.  Default is Mode 1.  I use Mode 3)

I don't know if the group will pass it, but I put a screen print below from my manual

Hope this helps

73

Randy KA0AZS

On 11/3/2020 15:45, Steve Matzura wrote:
I've owned my TM-D700A for probably fifteen years now, but have never needed to change the default step size ... until now. The manual says:

1 Press the left or right [BAND SEL] to select band A or
B.
• If necessary, press [F], then the same [BAND SEL] to
recall the sub-band.
2 Press [VFO].
3 Press [F], [STEP].
• The current step size appears and blinks.
4 Press [c]/ [d] to select the desired step size.

I've looked through the PDF, I've looked at the control head when in VFO mode, looked at the buttons on the microphone, but cannot figure this one out. Fifteen years, and I don't know where the STEP button is? H'mmm.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Matzura

Thanks so very much for this info. This is most *MOST* valuable. I actually figured it out last night, but by trial and error. That may sound silly considering all I had to do was look at the display, but there's, well, a kind-of sort-of detail I left out--I'm doing this being totally blind. That doesn't affect anything else about the operation of the radio since I have the VS-3 voice chip in it, but I figured the [F] button *MUST* change *SOMETHING*, so I started poking around. When I got to the fourth button from the left (or third from the right if you like counting from the right), that one became the [STEP] button, which of course matches perfectly with what you wrote. I also have the PDF which I can read accessibly and will check out those pages for an apparently much-needed refresher on these controlss. ;-)!

On 11/3/2020 10:53 PM, Randy Allen wrote:

[...]

One more question. The manual says this on p37:

STORING SIMPLEX FREQUENCIES OR STANDARD
REPEATER FREQUENCIES
1 Select the desired band.
2 Press [VFO].
3 Select the desired frequency.
4 If storing a standard repeater frequency, select the
following data:
• Offset direction {page 29}
• Tone ON, if necessary {page 30}
• Tone frequency, if necessary {page 30}
If storing a simplex frequency, you may select other
related data (CTCSS ON, CTCSS freq., etc.).
5 Press [F].
• A memory channel number appears and blinks.
• “ ” indicates the current channel is empty while “ ”
indicates the channel contains data.
6 Turn the Tuning control, or press Mic [UP]/ [DWN], to
select the desired memory channel.
7 Press [M.IN].

Unfortunately, the currently showing memory channel number doesn't speak, but I can set that up beforehand with MR. However, what's [M.IN]?

[...]

Steve,

The buttons along the vertical sides of the control head are also context sensitive. (Except for the power button on the top right side)

So, the basic state of the vertical buttons are (from top down):

Left side: CALL, VFO, MR.

Right Side PWR, PM, MNU

Press the [F] button and they are:

Left Side: C.IN, M-V, M.IN.

Right Side: PWR, P.IN, ABC

Press the [F] button 1 second and they are:

Left Side: Blank, Blank, TNC.

Right Side: PWR, Blank, DX

So, in your example, the M.IN button would be at the bottom left side of the display since you had pressed the [F] button earlier in the process..

Hope this helps

73

Randy KA0AZS

On 11/4/2020 10:54, Steve Matzura wrote:

[...]

Fan-TASTIC! Thanks again! Added to my documentation! And of course,it worked as described.

On 11/4/2020 12:11 PM, Randy Allen wrote:
[...]

Glad I could Help

On 11/4/2020 14:12, Steve Matzura wrote:
[...]

Sorry, but with all this great success, I went down yet another rabbit-hole and found one more. Sure hope it's the last! ;-) - I decided I'd try a CTCSS/DCS scan. I got it all correct but for one thing. From the manual:

1 Press [TONE] to switch ON the Tone function.
• “T” appears when the Tone function is ON.
2 Press [F], [T.SEL].
• The current tone frequency appears and blinks.
3 Press [SCAN] to activate the Tone Freq. ID.
“T SCAN” appears and blinks.
4 Press [OK] to program the identified frequency in
place of the currently set tone frequency.

The [SCAN] button--does this mean the "VISUAL SCAN" button that appears when [F] is pressed?

On 11/4/2020 4:12 PM, Randy Allen wrote:
[...]

Hopefully someone else has experience as I've never used any of the scan functions (Tone, DCS or frequency) on any of my radios.

If no one rogers up I'll try to dig into the manual and see what I can find

Sorry

Randy KA0AZS

On 11/4/2020 16:59, Steve Matzura wrote:
[...]

Thank you. The MR scan works just great--press and hold MR, wait for the second beep, and off it goes. I did have a little trouble configuring its behavior in menu 1-9-1 because the book says pres OK, but it's really press [F] that you want to do. The CTCSS/DCS scan isn't a big deal, but I just thought I'd give it a half-a-go to see if I could find the PL for a particular repeater without simply scrolling through the choices until I hit the right one, which I've definitely done before.