TNC Transmit Problem

Jason <jmrasmussen@...>

I have a TM-D700A that I use for aprs and ham use. I use the the unit
for standa-alone APRS and connecting to UI-VIEW in a mobile
application. It has been working fine until recently I noticed that it
did not seem to be transmitting my location. I have verified that the
stand-alone transmit no long works, it is set on AUTO and BEACON is
turned on and the GPS icon is flashing indicating it is getting valid
GPS data from the GPS but still it doesn't transmit.

I checked it hooked up to UI-VIEW. I have no transmit with that
either. I am able to track myself on the computer screen with UI-VIEW
so GPS data is getting from the GPS to the D700A and back to the
computer but again its not transmitting my position.

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong. I did a reset and
tried it and it didn't fix anything.

Thanks

Jason

Herb

The squelch on the D700 must be set high enough to over-ride any local
noise. The radio will not transmit until it "hears" a quiet spot on the
frequency. I have been nabbed with that problem a number of times, so now
that is the first thing I check for.

Herb, KB7UVC
NW APRS Group, West Sound Coordinator
Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info

[...]

Greg Flanagan

I had the same problem for the past two weeks. Tried everything that was recommended on the various groups to no avail. I even tried it with multiple GPS units, each of which I had used successfully in the past. I finally gave up and sent it back to Kenwood to get checked out. I'll let you know if they find a problem.

Thanks

Greg

Greg Flanagan
KE4FTA

Jason Rasmussen <jmrasmussen@...>

Thanks for the hint but that was one of the first things I checked.

Jason

Our WEB Site: http://www.nwaprs.info<http://www.nwaprs.info/>

George Miller <george@...>

I had a similar problem after running UIView 32. I couldn't make the
D700 transmit in standalone mode. I couldn't find any settings that
were obviously wrong, but I had previously saved everything by
downloading everything with the MCP-D700 program. I restored all
settings and frequencies and everything returned to normal.

When I ran UIView 32 again, I couldn't transmit in standalone mode
again. Once again, I restored all my information from MCP-D700 and all
was well. I don't know what gets changed, but something appears to get
switched.

If you have a previous copy of all settings try uploading it to the
radio.

George W3GWM

George Miller W3GWM

Still not sending data. I did a full reset my D700 and reloaded my code plug. Still not getting data out. Receiving ok.

My setting for APRS:
GPS Unit - NOT USED
Packet Path wide1-1,wide2-2
TX Interval 3 minutes
Data Band A
Packet Speed 1200
Digipeter Off
TNC set to TNC PKT (someone said not to use TNC APRS)

I'm just trying to send my data and see it on APRS.FI as an APRS station.

What am I doing wrong?

George Miller W3GWM

I switched to TNC APRS and listened on my HT. I can hear data going out. Still nothing on the APRS Map. I think maybe I'm not being heard.

Ryan - K9NBG

Do you know if you have an APRS repeater near by?
Do you receive other users APRS messages?  If so you can look that up and see what repeater it is going through.

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 8:48 AM George Miller W3GWM via groups.io <w3gwm=ptd.net@groups.io> wrote:
I switched to TNC APRS and listened on my HT. I can hear data going out. Still nothing on the APRS Map. I think maybe I'm not being heard.

Ed K8EAF

George,

Are you hitting an APRS repeater?

On my TMD710G:
Band A
GPS ON (wait until flashes)
APRS TNC ON
Beacon ON

73 Ed K8EAF

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 9:35 AM George Miller W3GWM via groups.io <w3gwm=ptd.net@groups.io> wrote:
Still not sending data. I did a full reset my D700 and reloaded my code plug. Still not getting data out. Receiving ok.

My setting for APRS:
GPS Unit - NOT USED
Packet Path wide1-1,wide2-2
TX Interval 3 minutes
Data Band A
Packet Speed 1200
Digipeter Off
TNC set to TNC PKT (someone said not to use TNC APRS)

I'm just trying to send my data and see it on APRS.FI as an APRS station.

What am I doing wrong?

George Miller W3GWM

I don't think I'm hitting an APRS Repeater. I live far from anything showing up on the APRS Map

George Miller W3GWM

Finally, its working. Trial and error. Thanks to everyone who helped.

Gundolf

Even it the issue seems to be solved a little document how to setupp TM D700 for APRS.
73 de DF8FS