Topics

TMD710A memory question

Anon Anon

I'm looking at jumping several generations ahead in technology and replacing my old faithful Yaseu FT7900 dual-band FM transceiver with the TMD710A.

I assume the 710A has the capability of storing memories in what Yaesu calls "banks"; don't know the Kenwood term.  In My FT7900, i have one bank for local repeaters, another that includes all 2-mtr repeater freqs, another for local public service, etc..

I'd like to set up the 710A -- assuming I buy one -- with the following memory  arrangement.

--  One memory bank that is solely APRS.  When I use this memory, the rig will switch to APRS, beacon my location, including a message that I am listening on 146.52.  If I do this, how do I listen on 146.52 while the rig is beaconing on 144.39?

--  One memory bank that is solely my local repeater freqs, 2-mtr and 430.

-- One memory bank with every 2-mtr repeater freq, and, another bank with every 430 repeater freq

-- One bank with my local public service freqs -- 1554 - 159 Mhz.  I'm on the local volunteer fire department and rescue squad and need to scan these freqs, even though I carry a Motorola handheld for public service communications.

On the old FT7900, I select Memory Bank 1 and all I hear is local repeaters; Memory Bank 4 is only local public service, etc. .   Can I do the same with the TMD710A?

Thanks
--
------

Joe
W4HH

Rich Cite Tow

check out the manual. The tm-d710ga has 5 programmable memories. each memory can hold 5 frequencies...
Rich KK6CCR

On Aug 8, 2020, at 12:56, Anon Anon <lecontejoe@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Wolff

Sorry, no Banks per Yaesu on the 710 line, but you can program by memory # and then scan by 100, 200, 300 etc.

Read the manual for specifics

N4MEW / Mark

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020, 15:56 Anon Anon <lecontejoe@...> wrote:
[...]

J K

Rich is right, check the manual. Here's an excerpt from user manual concerning PM, not to be confused with the frequency memories.
Programmable Memory (PM) stores virtually all settings currently set on the transceiver. This transceiver provides 5 PM channels to
store 5 sets of transceiver configurations. Later, you can quickly recall any one of these channels, depending on the operations you
have in mind or the operating environment.
Pay particular attention to the user manual where it lists specific items that are NOT stored in PM's.

Bill Mader

The manual is the best place to start!  I own several TM-D710A's.  I have programmed them into the ten possible banks for the entire State of New Mexico plus a bit of surrounding States I am likely to visit.  I broke NM into nine geographical areas and saved the tenth bank for APRS (channel 999) plus many other non-ham frequencies I might want to monitor in contingencies.  I can scan any of the ten groups on one "side" while I use APRS on the other.

You cannot listen to any VHF frequency on one side while APRS is transmitting.  That should be obvious since any two 2m frequencies are too close together.  However, APRS only transmits when "necessary" and most often infrequently.  If you make a turn and the radio recognizes that turn, It will send a new beacon.  If you're listening on 2m on another frequency, you'll lose that tiny piece of information while the other side sends the new APRS beacon.

The key is to RTFM!  You may need to do that.  "Help" from others may or may not be helpful although for the most part it is, especially in these groups.  Other sites have lots of information is that is simply false.  Such as it is in our scientific avocation where opinions of myths outnumber facts.
--
73, Bill Mader, K8TE
ARRL New Mexico Section Manager