Topics

TM- Operation sans Head

noskosteve

Yes.  The D700 can be programmed and operated via computer-serial port.  It can also be operated WITHOUT a control head via the serial port.    I think someone else made a computer mirrored control head, but don't recall who/where...  I played around with a control hear replicadisplay also, but only started setting up the display format and didn't couple it to the commands.

It can also send and receive APRS messaged via computer.   I did some APRS messages and also email testing though the EMAIL server, but it's not in the released workbook.

 I also started adding the ability to do WinLink email, but never completed the macros.   Winkink takes more than one APRS message to send an email and you must ping the Winlink-APRS server to receive your email since ordinary email can't cause a ham transmitter to transmit.

If anyone wants to play with the macros, the workbook on my site is open source.  If you are serious about doing some programming for email, I'll even send you what I can find with the email testing stuff --- whatever it is -- I don't recall much off the top of my head but could get you pointed in the right direction...perhaps.  It's been a while since I played with it. but I do try to comment my code well.

K9DCI - Amateur Radio Control

It wouldn't be too difficult to add a macro to send the 35 CRs to turn it on (or off) to my existing code, then use the spreadsheed to use the radio.  It is not a control head look-alike interface, however.  you would enter a freq, then click on it or another button to tune there.

The following is the contents of a Jan 2011 document that I surely must have uploaded into the Files area, or at least posted here:

D700 operates Without Control Head.docx

The following applies WITH or WITHOUT the Control Head connected.

  You can turn on the D700 radio from the serial port. The command is simple ASCII "PS 1" no quotes, end with a Carriage Return (CR) character. In Hex this is &h50 &h53 &h20 &h31 &h0D.

HOWEVER ONE WON"T DO IT.

  It appears to be an issue of having serial port activity for some time period because of the following observations.  I never traced out the schematic to see if there was something between the serial port and power circuitry to verify this assumption.

  Typing manually with Hyperterm, it takes 2 or 3 PS 1 commands.

  Testing at 9600 baud, it takes about 35 characters to wake up the processor to then accept the command.

  I found that sending 35 or more CRs followed by the PS 1 CR works well. In HEX this is 35 &h0D's then &h50 &h53 &h20 &h31 &h0D.  The CRs dont do anyting to confuse the processor because it ignores them until it gets some other characters that it tries to interpret as a command.

  Other characters work, but if you have more than 35 before the PS 1 command, the radio will balk at the invalid command the characters represent and respond with "?". The number 35 seems to be slightly different for different characters. Sending complete PS 1 commands takes 8 of them which is 36 characters before the final command. Sending from 32 to 34 CRs in the "prefix" will turn on the radio, but it responds with "?". This is not recommended, use = or > 35.

  I did find some variations from the 35 character "prefix" that would both power up the radio and respond with a "?". Then, subsequently sending any other command resulted in receiving a PS 1 from the radio. It has to get that ) the invalid commands) out of it's system, so to speak.

  When the radio powers up, it responds with the same thing as the command, namely "PS 1".

  I also found some variations (usially 2 or 3 less characters) that did NOT power up the radio, but responded with the "?".

  Less than about 30 or 31 characters of prefix has no effect (no response from radio).

  I did not do any exhaustive testing of other commands once powered up sans head, but a few worked normally, so It's a safe bet that everything that can normally be done from the serial port also works and pretty much normal radio control is possible. I know that there are some things that can only be done with the Control Head, however, I do not have a complete list compiled.

  I also have a free for the download Excel spreadsheet that does control and memories including ALL PMs. I'll have to add the power up sequence and basic volume and squelch capability in the future.

--

73, Steve, K9DCI
k9dci.home.comcast.com

Jim Nagle

One software package I previously used was the D700 SunSat SW

http://www.qsl.net/g6odt/d700.html