TM-D710G

David Mancuso

One Important question please,,,,

This is my first Kenwood experience. I replaced my Yaesu 8900 duel band in my 2016 Dodge Ram.  Heres my issue, every time I transmit on 147.285 it breaks squelch or interferes with the UHF  side  which is on 443.800.  I have been emailing Leo at Kenwood letting him know that I don’t think this radio should be doing this, at first he said to just turn up the squelch on the UHF but when transmitting at 50 watts you cant turn the squelch up enough.. So, I thought I would order a couple New antenna's to see what happens.
My original duel band by Larson is old so I bought a New Larsen 19 inch and a Diamond NR770.  When using the diamond antenna the problem got worse, with the New Larson the same thing happened.
Ok, so I asked HRO to send me a New radio which they gladly did,,,same thing is going on.  The last thing Kenwood suggested is that I turn the AIP to ON,,,thats worked but my reception was so diminished on the UHF side to a point where I could not here the repeater.

Phew, sorry for the lengthy question,,,just not sure if all the 710s do this?  Is there something I should be doing differently?   HRO said they would replace it with the Yaesu FTM400xdr but I really like this radio for the ease of programming, the nice display and I like have the NOAA Weather Alert feature for my travels.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
W2NM

h g

Dave, if you take 147.885 and multiply it times 3, you get 443.655 which is pretty close to your UHF side frequency. I would say you are hearing a birdie being generated inside the radio. Maybe Kenwood could do a re-alignment. Or it may be an unfortunate situation that you have this combination of frequencies you want to operate on.
Harold
WE4G.

Harold
WE4G

On Apr 4, 2017, at 14:53, "David Mancuso david9531@... [TMD700A]" <TMD700A@...> wrote:

[...]

Harold thank you some much for the info. these just happen to be my two main repeaters I use.  I really like the like the radio in general, HRO asked me to decide if I want to replace it with the Yaesu FTM400 today. Yikes. I'll have to do some research, I probably won't tie up any radio up using APRS because I want to monitor both VHF and UHF sides during travels.

Dave
W2NM

On Tuesday, April 4, 2017 6:00 PM, "Harold we4gham@... [TMD700A]" wrote:

[...]

Jerry <n7yge@...>

You do not have to have the APRS on and can just have VHF and UHF going on the FTM400.  But you would have the capability to have  APRS if you ever choose to have it on.  Just a thought.

Jerry  N7YGE