Topics

TM-D710A Side B goes deaf - requires power cycle

John Huggins

All,

A new problem exists in my many years old TM-D710A transceiver. Some information:
  • Band A (left) set to APRS - 144.390 MHz.
  • Band B (right) set to local repeater - 147.165+ with 167.9 Hz tone - memory channel 10.
  • Tone is set to transmit on B side transmit for repeater access.
  • CTCSS is on B side receive.
  • Squelch is down on B side as CTCSS works well.

Occasionally when listening to the repeater the B side simply stops receiving anything. I manually cycle the various tone options and nothing changes. I cycle through memory channels and nothing changes. There is signal shown on the S meter, yet no amount of fumbling yet has re-enabled receive. It seems to happen about once a day. Cycling power with the power button cures it and I don't seem to have a problem any more that day.

I'll add the battery in the display is dead as I have to set the clock manually when I care about it... which is almost never.

Anyone else seen this behavior?  If I cannot figure it out I will purchase a replacement and put this to other uses, but figure it cannot hurt to ask the brain trust here.

Thanks.

73

John, kx4o

Charles Doughtie

IIRC this could be a common filter problem that is covered by warranty. Don't retire the rig before checking with Kenwood!

 TM-D710A:    S/N 903XXXXX ~ 003XXXXX

de Charlie, N5EXY, Grid EM1Øfl36vu,
South Suburban Greater Hutto

Where Am I? http://www.aprs.fi/n5exy-9

[...]

Charlie,

Thanks much for the response. The serial number from the box is B1100050. I'm not sure how to square this with the numerical range you sent.

More testing tonight shows the B side receiving going completely deaf and back intermittently. I switched to the A channel for drive time talking with the locals on the repeater and that works fine. I will do more testing from some of the test tricks I see folks suggesting (change from wide to narrow filter, etc.) and see what I learn.

Thanks again.
John, kx4o

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 10:04 PM, Charles Doughtie via Groups.Io <n5exy@...> wrote:
[...]

Leo was the go to guy when I had problems with a Kenwood. This info is old in my address book - worth an email or call to Kenwood:

Leo Fahmie Kenwood

Kenwood Tech Support
310 761-8273
310 639-4200, 4, 1
Leo's phone number is: 310 639-4200, 4, 1
de Joe - WA6RKN

Amateur Radio
Phone: (310) 639-4200, Option 4, Option 1
Fax: (310) 761-8290

[...]

Tom Crowley

Hello

3 of the 4 D710 I have had this problem, if you contact Kenwood service with the Serial number they can tell you if it’s under a warranty/recall. The radio has to fail before they will fix it.

This is the email they sent me back in June 2016 when I gave them my serial number.

Not sure if this program is still going on

If you have a Kenwood TM-D710A that inhibits a scratchy noise with no signal present in receive you may have a filter failure.

If your TM-D710A receiver has the symptoms listed above, and your serial number falls within the ranges listed below please send your TM-D710A in for warranty repair to one of the service centers listed below.

The Kenwood TM-D710A serial number range is 903XXXXX ~ A9AXXXXX

Your Kenwood TM-D710A does not need to be within its 1 year warranty to be repaired at no charge.

Kenwood will ONLY replace the failed filter at no charge.

All other repairs would be the responsibility of the Kenwood end user.

Please send your radio to the closest facility to you.