From: "dj207@..."
To: TMD700A@...
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 10:07 PM
Subject: [TMD700A] TM-D700A GPS

Greetings All,
I am using a TM-D700.  Can anyone recommend a good GPS for APRS use? I am new to APRS and am fumbling my way through it :)

Thank you!

-Dave

Ken Short <ve3oks@...>

Nuvi350
Ken
Ve3oks

On Apr 30, 2014 10:07 PM, <dj207@...> wrote:

Greetings All,
I am using a TM-D700.  Can anyone recommend a good GPS for APRS use? I am new to APRS and am fumbling my way through it :)

Thank you!

-Dave

Benny D. Miller Jr.

Dave,

My vote goes to the Nuvi 350 and argent data systems cable for the Kenwood TM-D700A. I have a Wordpress article on that setup in case you have any trouble with it. Those Nuiv’s should be fairly cheap these days and gives a good display of other stations around you, if you need a display. There are other Garmin units that use the same fleet management cable conversion for the GPS. There is a link on that article to the Argent Data Systems cable and nice folks, written to them about a couple other devices. If you do not need the display, I recently used the BR-355S4 for a GPS. I used it for my IC-7100, but checked it out with the Kenwood also. Took a couple other cables/adapters, used a USB to old mouse adaptor PS2 connecter to power the GlobalSat BR-355S4 and a 2.5mm cable to the pins 3 & 2 and 7 for the ground.

Ben ARS w4qed

W4qed.wordpress.com under the title “Garmin Nuvi 350 Argent Data Systems Cable with TM-D700

I am using a TM-D700.  Can anyone recommend a good GPS for APRS use? I am new to APRS and am fumbling my way through it :)

Thank you!

-Dave

Charles Doughtie

I agree with the Nuvi350 and the Argent cable. Any unit that "talks NMEA" will work - I started out with a Garmin eTrek. The Nuvi350 is available on eBay, etc., as well as lifetime maps. Garmin hesitated to register a used one to me until they verified it was not stolen. They will accept a memory card and feed MP3 to your car sound. The navigation instructions mute the music so you don't hear both.

My next choice would be an AvMap unit but they are much more expensive.

You're gonna enjoy that D700. I have two of them in vehicles.

de Charlie, N5EXY, Grid EM10fl,
South Suburban Greater Hutto

[...]

Robin <g4jdo.robin@...>

Hi Ben

Do you think this one will do the trick

Data Cable (Mini B to Serial Pigtail) Garmin Part Number: 010-10813-00

I think maybe this one is too simple.

Thanks

Robin

[...]

Bob Myers

I have 2 of the KW 700 as does other folks here, I run one with a Nuvi 350($50 for the unit+shipping, $30+shipping for the fleet cable)and then have the problem of mounting both on my motorcycle. I did it, but not terribly happy with having  2 items to cover if it rains. Nuvi has screen issues, but works fine otherwise, for now.
  The other motorcycle has a tm d700 and the Byonics gps II receiver. it is magnetic, looks like a Sirius antenna and is bad weather friendly, it cost a few bucks less brand new than the used(and failing) Nuvi and cables.

Bob Myers
N4RWM

I am using a TM-D700.  Can anyone recommend a good GPS for APRS use? I am new to APRS and am fumbling my way through it :)

Thank you!

-Dave

dj207@...

Hi Bob,
Does the Nuvi show you other APRS objects on the screen?  It is not easy trying to find a GPS that outputs NMEA these days.  Looks like an older model, does Garmin still support it?   Thanks for the info.

-Dave

N4DBR - David Roberts

Can you tell me more about this cable that is needed to connect the gps to the radio?  Are there instructions for making it and are there some already made for purchase?

I have 2 700s that I haven't even tried using yet.  I'd like to start.

73,
N4DBR - David in Lenoir, NC

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 12:27 AM, Charles Doughtie <n5exy@...> wrote:

[...]

when in "fleet mode" as it is when using as an input device it shows normal screen. Garmin will sell you updated maps, for app what a new unit cost. They do not support, the last time I loaded firmware for mine(I have 3 of those) it was over a year old.
   Looking at this from an automotive view, if you want a no frills GPS unit and want to output for your KW then this would be a good option. If you don't care about looking at a GPS screen then the Byonics unit will be more "stealth" and cost a couple dollars less to setup.

Bob Myers
N4RWM