From: TMD700A@... [mailto:TMD700A@...]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:51 PM
To: TMD700A@...
Subject: [TMD700A] TM-D700A Freezes

The other night I was talking on my 700a when everything went dead. The face looked like I was still transmitting even though the handheld said otherwise. I shut the radio down and tried it again. This time, the face showed a bunch of different characters on the screen. Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this? The radio is one of the last before the 710, so it is not that old.

WD8ARZ <wd8arz@...>

RFI?

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ

On 7/17/2014 4:50 PM, glendor2@... [TMD700A] wrote:
The other night I was talking on my 700a when everything went dead. The face looked like I was still transmitting even though the handheld said otherwise. I shut the radio down and tried it again. This time, the face showed a bunch of different characters on the screen. Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this? The radio is one of the last before the 710, so it is not that old.

GK

I was just sitting here watching TV and it shut off. I reached down to check the case and it is warm, but no very warm. I am at a loss. It was just sitting there; not transmitting, just listening.

ARGH!!!

Where is Cliff when you need him!!

73,
Gary
N8GJK

From: "Jim K5JG k5jg@... [TMD700A]" <TMD700A@...>
To: TMD700A@...

My TMD-700A is 15-1/2 years old and is now in it's 5th vehicle using the
original separation cable. I've not had any problem with the modular
connectors on that cable or the one on the mic cable in all that time.

I worked for a ham radio dealer for over 11 years and, contrary to
popular belief, we almost never saw problems with modular connectors or
the "wimpy" separation cables. When we did, it was typically because
they had been abused or improperly installed.

73, Jim K5JG

'Jim Shorney' @NU0C [TMD700A] wrote:
I consider wimpy cables and modular "RJ" connectors marketed for the
mobile
environment to be a manufacturing defect.

73

-Jim
NU0C

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Brian Beuershausen

In my case, the fault was clearly in the installation (mine) by not providing enough protection for the cable as it passed by a sharp edge.  There was certainly nothing defective or inadequate about the cable as supplied.  I think the resilient rubber outer layer that Kenwood selected is about the best possible choice.

Modular RJ connectors are fine as long as there isn't continual stress or flexing at the termination and the disconnected cables are handled carefully.  But you can say the same for nearly every other style.  For stuff that is plugged in and stays that way, there's nothing special you need to do for an RJ connector that you don't also need to do for any other type.

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 8:55 AM, 'LARRY J. FORD' lford@... [TMD700A] <TMD700A@...> wrote:

Ditto.

Frankly, I consider the cables supplied with the D700A to be "substantial" as
compared to some other manufacturers products.

I guess at "some" additional expense Kenwood could enclose the control cable,
etc., in conduit or make them out of some sort of heliax, but that might make
them difficult to route!! ;-)

As licensed amateur radio operators, we have the option to make modifications
to our equipment to overcome perceived short-comings.

Larry
K4AEC

> My TMD-700A is 15-1/2 years old and is now in it's 5th vehicle using the
> original separation cable. I've not had any problem with the modular
> connectors on that cable or the one on the mic cable in all that time.
>
> I worked for a ham radio dealer for over 11 years and, contrary to
> popular belief, we almost never saw problems with modular connectors or
> the "wimpy" separation cables. When we did, it was typically because
> they had been abused or improperly installed.
>
> 73, Jim K5JG
>
> 'Jim Shorney' jshorney@... [TMD700A] wrote:
> > I consider wimpy cables and modular "RJ" connectors marketed for the
mobile
> > environment to be a manufacturing defect.
> >
> > 73
> >
> > -Jim
> > NU0C

> Shortcut URL to this page:
> http://www.onelist.com/community/TMD700A
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

Larry J. Ford

In my installation of the TM-D700A, I have applied some soft material to
protect the modular connectors where they plug into the body of the rig and to
hopefully provide some additional strain relief.

I doubt any of us want to pay the price for "MIL-SPEC" standard radios that
can survive a war zone, so we need to take some reasonable precautions with
our amateur-radio grade equipment.

I've also had an ICOM mobile 2 meter rig where the little clip on the RJ-45
mic connector plug broke, so Kenwood can be singled-out.

LJF
K4AEC

[...]

Just for anybody that is wondering. This "installation" is on my desk. I have the cable ran from the radio stand to the desk. It is not bound or stressed. However, I did see a spot on the cable where it looked as if it had been bent. I have been using this installation for about 5 years (or so).

Gary
N8GJK

My TMD-700A is 15-1/2 years old and is now in it's 5th vehicle using the
original separation cable. I've not had any problem with the modular
connectors on that cable or the one on the mic cable in all that time.

I worked for a ham radio dealer for over 11 years and, contrary to
popular belief, we almost never saw problems with modular connectors or
the "wimpy" separation cables. When we did, it was typically because
they had been abused or improperly installed.

73, Jim K5JG

'Jim Shorney' @NU0C [TMD700A] wrote:
I consider wimpy cables and modular "RJ" connectors marketed for the mobile
environment to be a manufacturing defect.

73

-Jim
NU0C

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

-----
No virus found in this message.

Jim Shorney

To the point. Modular connectors were designed for indoor environments where
they would be pretty much plugged in and left alone. NOT
dusty/hot/cold/humid/dry/wet/vibrating/bouncing mobile service. Mil-spec is not
really necessary either - just something between the two. Like the now-classic
4 (or more) pin screw-down popularized in the late 70s and 80s. But that's what
you get if you want smaller, cheaper radios.

73

-Jim
NU0C

--

The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.

-Harlan Ellison

GK

OK folks, I found the problem. After getting another cable (at the advise of the group), the radio STILL froze. I went to the car and got the control head out of the car and it has worked all day. I put the other control head on the other radio and after about 5 minutes, the radio froze. I wish I would have tried that two weeks ago. Anyway, it is a good learning experiance and I have an extra cable for when I need it. So NOW you know!!

73,
Gary