TM-D700 Fan

dj207@...

Hi All,
Has anyone changed the fan in their TM-D700?  Will a standard 40x40x10 work or is there anything special about the Kenwood fan?

Thank you!!!
73! -Dave

Bill Simm

Hi Dave,
   Nothing special about the kenwood fan,   I have gone through several fans in my d700.    The standard 40x40x10 will work,  just be sure it has the same voltage ratings etc of the kenwood fan.     Those little fans are a noisy fan,  they just seem to be that way by design.     They are small and run fast and I guess that just generates some noise.     I find they do require a little maintenance every so often,  in the form of  a little oil.    I use a little (3 in 1 oil) every 10 months or so.     The current fan I have installed has a little oil cap in it that can be opened allowing  a few drops of oil to be added.     I have found that being able oil the motor every so often adds a lot of life to it and makes it run a lot quieter.    A lot of those little fans out there don’t give you that access to be able to oil them and they just get really noisy and wear out over time becoming basically unusable.
     If there is a oil cap it is often under the label on the front of the fan.    Problem is that label is usually what holds the cap in place and once the label is off you can re-stick it back on.    I just use some electrical tape over the front of the fan to hold oil cap in place like the label did.

            Bill (va1alw)

dj207@...

Hi William,  Thank you.  Will be changing it tonight!   Was thinking about upgrading this radio but still very feature rich for its age.  Tmd700 was way ahead of its time!

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 11:50 AM, William Simm williamrham@... [TMD700A]
wrote:

[...]

I learned early on, to remove the sticker covering the fan bearing, if no hole, drill (carefully) a small hole where the sticker was! A drop of good lubricant, replace the sticker or make a new one, all fixed, good for another year or two!

paul dallard

Indeed! The TMD-700A was was ahead of its time! I still use mine everyday---20 years after the fact. BTW, did you know that there is a "government" version called the TM-700D that's frequency "agile"? I have a buddy with the Secret Service....he showed me what looked essentially like a TMD-700A.... but which covered from 400-520 megs...with full coverage on VHF and 800 megs as well. Impressive!

<TMD700A@...> wrote:

[...]

Wow!  Is the "A" able to be modified to be a "D"?  BTW, I was able to get a regular fan to work.  I used a dremel tool to make the holes on the fan bigger to slide over the plastic pegs un the holder.   It's interesting that the fan blows in.   Can the 710 really do anything with aprs that the 700 can't?

<TMD700A@...> wrote:

[...]

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

Having had a first-hand experience with a D700A vs. a D710G at Clingmans Dome for this year's Golden Packet Annual APRS Appalachian Trail exercise, I can tell you that a TM-D710x model is far easier to program/re-program "on the fly" than the TM-700 which I have.

All the pertinent APRS/TNC setting appear to be menu-accessible, whereas with the 700A certain TNC settings can only be addressed by connecting the rig to PC and connecting to the TNC using a terminal node program.

That is kinda of a PITA in the field, although I have done it when required.

I'm saving up for a D710x!

Larry J. Ford
K4AEC