TM-710A repairs...


David McGuire <leviticus25_9@...>
 

Hello everyone.  I have been out of ham radio for many years, and when I stepped back in a fellow ham gave me a TM-710A that he said was a spare.  It still had the film that covered the screen, and the cables were still in plastic bags and wrapped with twist ties.  Essentially a new radio.  I did not know that the radio needs a programming cable and software (my previous 2m radio just plugged in and turned on...).  A local ham came to my house with his programming cable.  He owns two of these radios and says that they are wonderful.  He connected the cables, and the antenna, and turned on the radio.  Two issues right off the bat: 1.  The fan is not working.  It makes a tick, tick sound as it tries to turn.  Using a pen to make it turn did not get it moving.  However, the clicking (as the fan continues trying to turn) remained.  2.  The screen displayed both the A and B VFOs, and the B VFO was transmitting.  The mic was not pressed, and he disconnected the mic as a check.  The B VFO continues to be in transmit mode.  So, would it be worth the cost of repair?  If so, are there any recommended shops?  There are none in my local area.  Thank you.  73 de David AE4LH


David Ranch
 


Wow.. that was a very generous gift you received as the D710 is one of the best analog FM radios ever made if you ask me.  For your questions:

1. Replacement fans are pretty inexpensive to buy.  You can join the D710 list at TM-D710-and-TM-V71@kenwood-radios.groups.io and see the archives on this common topic but it's recommended to buy a quiet fan as the stock one is quite noisy.  One recommended one is the Noctua NF-A4x10 (40 x 40 x 10 mm)

2. Very strange on the hung TX.  Was anything connected to the 6pin connector on the back of the radio?  To your other question, a full factory reset of the D710 can be seen here and since it's a new-to-you radio, it won't hurt trying:

    Turn the D710 power OFF.
    Press the [F] key (second to the bottom left button next to the large knob) and then press the Power On button (upper right corner)
    Rotate the Tuning control and select your desired. reset type: VFO RESET, PARTIAL RESET, PM. RESET, or FULL RESET.  Do a FULL RESET
    Press in the large Tuning control knob to set the reset type. ?
    Press in the large Tuning control knob again to perform the reset.

--David
KI6ZHD


On 06/05/2022 03:56 PM, David McGuire wrote:
Hello everyone.  I have been out of ham radio for many years, and when I stepped back in a fellow ham gave me a TM-710A that he said was a spare.  It still had the film that covered the screen, and the cables were still in plastic bags and wrapped with twist ties.  Essentially a new radio.  I did not know that the radio needs a programming cable and software (my previous 2m radio just plugged in and turned on...).  A local ham came to my house with his programming cable.  He owns two of these radios and says that they are wonderful.  He connected the cables, and the antenna, and turned on the radio.  Two issues right off the bat: 1.  The fan is not working.  It makes a tick, tick sound as it tries to turn.  Using a pen to make it turn did not get it moving.  However, the clicking (as the fan continues trying to turn) remained.  2.  The screen displayed both the A and B VFOs, and the B VFO was transmitting.  The mic was not pressed, and he disconnected the mic as a check.  The B VFO continues to be in transmit mode.  So, would it be worth the cost of repair?  If so, are there any recommended shops?  There are none in my local area.  Thank you.  73 de David AE4LH


David Ranch
 


Btw.. another low noise fan recommended from the list is the SilenX Ixtrema IXP-11-14  (12volt version). 

There is an excellent email from Herb Gerhardt written back on 2/1/2014 @ 8:51pm about various fan options:

   https://kenwood-radios.groups.io/g/TM-D710-and-TM-V71/message/15947

--David
KI6ZHD


On 06/05/2022 05:33 PM, David Ranch wrote:

Wow.. that was a very generous gift you received as the D710 is one of the best analog FM radios ever made if you ask me.  For your questions:

1. Replacement fans are pretty inexpensive to buy.  You can join the D710 list at TM-D710-and-TM-V71@kenwood-radios.groups.io and see the archives on this common topic but it's recommended to buy a quiet fan as the stock one is quite noisy.  One recommended one is the Noctua NF-A4x10 (40 x 40 x 10 mm)

2. Very strange on the hung TX.  Was anything connected to the 6pin connector on the back of the radio?  To your other question, a full factory reset of the D710 can be seen here and since it's a new-to-you radio, it won't hurt trying:

    Turn the D710 power OFF.
    Press the [F] key (second to the bottom left button next to the large knob) and then press the Power On button (upper right corner)
    Rotate the Tuning control and select your desired. reset type: VFO RESET, PARTIAL RESET, PM. RESET, or FULL RESET.  Do a FULL RESET
    Press in the large Tuning control knob to set the reset type. ?
    Press in the large Tuning control knob again to perform the reset.

--David
KI6ZHD


On 06/05/2022 03:56 PM, David McGuire wrote:
Hello everyone.  I have been out of ham radio for many years, and when I stepped back in a fellow ham gave me a TM-710A that he said was a spare.  It still had the film that covered the screen, and the cables were still in plastic bags and wrapped with twist ties.  Essentially a new radio.  I did not know that the radio needs a programming cable and software (my previous 2m radio just plugged in and turned on...).  A local ham came to my house with his programming cable.  He owns two of these radios and says that they are wonderful.  He connected the cables, and the antenna, and turned on the radio.  Two issues right off the bat: 1.  The fan is not working.  It makes a tick, tick sound as it tries to turn.  Using a pen to make it turn did not get it moving.  However, the clicking (as the fan continues trying to turn) remained.  2.  The screen displayed both the A and B VFOs, and the B VFO was transmitting.  The mic was not pressed, and he disconnected the mic as a check.  The B VFO continues to be in transmit mode.  So, would it be worth the cost of repair?  If so, are there any recommended shops?  There are none in my local area.  Thank you.  73 de David AE4LH



David McGuire <leviticus25_9@...>
 

Nice to meet another member of the International Brotherhood of Davids!  Thank you for the fan suggestion, and the hard reset info. 

 

Have a nice evening/day.

 

Vy 73 de David AE4LH

 

Sent from Mail for Windows

 

From: David Ranch
Sent: Sunday, June 5, 2022 7:33 PM
To: TMD700A@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TMD700A] TM-710A repairs...

 


Wow.. that was a very generous gift you received as the D710 is one of the best analog FM radios ever made if you ask me.  For your questions:

1. Replacement fans are pretty inexpensive to buy.  You can join the D710 list at TM-D710-and-TM-V71@kenwood-radios.groups.io and see the archives on this common topic but it's recommended to buy a quiet fan as the stock one is quite noisy.  One recommended one is the Noctua NF-A4x10 (40 x 40 x 10 mm)

2. Very strange on the hung TX.  Was anything connected to the 6pin connector on the back of the radio?  To your other question, a full factory reset of the D710 can be seen here and since it's a new-to-you radio, it won't hurt trying:

    Turn the D710 power OFF.
    Press the [F] key (second to the bottom left button next to the large knob) and then press the Power On button (upper right corner)
    Rotate the Tuning control and select your desired. reset type: VFO RESET, PARTIAL RESET, PM. RESET, or FULL RESET.  Do a FULL RESET
    Press in the large Tuning control knob to set the reset type. ?
    Press in the large Tuning control knob again to perform the reset.

--David
KI6ZHD

On 06/05/2022 03:56 PM, David McGuire wrote:

Hello everyone.  I have been out of ham radio for many years, and when I stepped back in a fellow ham gave me a TM-710A that he said was a spare.  It still had the film that covered the screen, and the cables were still in plastic bags and wrapped with twist ties.  Essentially a new radio.  I did not know that the radio needs a programming cable and software (my previous 2m radio just plugged in and turned on...).  A local ham came to my house with his programming cable.  He owns two of these radios and says that they are wonderful.  He connected the cables, and the antenna, and turned on the radio.  Two issues right off the bat: 1.  The fan is not working.  It makes a tick, tick sound as it tries to turn.  Using a pen to make it turn did not get it moving.  However, the clicking (as the fan continues trying to turn) remained.  2.  The screen displayed both the A and B VFOs, and the B VFO was transmitting.  The mic was not pressed, and he disconnected the mic as a check.  The B VFO continues to be in transmit mode.  So, would it be worth the cost of repair?  If so, are there any recommended shops?  There are none in my local area.  Thank you.  73 de David AE4LH

 

 


Lee Besing
 

I was the "other ham" helping to troubleshoot David's new radio yesterday afternoon. I own and use 2 of these wonderful D710A radios.

When the radio was first turned on, the radio froze with the "Hello" message on the screen.  Eventually, after multiple starts, it went to the frequency display screen with the start up VHF freq on the "A" side and the default start up UHF freq on the "B" side.  It then keyed up solid on the "B" side.  Yes, I had a 5/8 wave dual band antenna connected to the radio before powering up.

I immediately unplugged the mic cable & the 9 pin to USB cable (from RT Systems) to eliminate those items as the cause. Only the control head was plugged into the radio body.  I turned it off and back on, with same results.

I'm really wondering if there is a coin sized battery in the control head, like there us in the TM-D700 radio. I had to ship that radio back to Kenwood repairs to get it replaced (didn't know about the battery at the time) after it had sat in my spare radio suitcase for a year or longer, never powered up. I had used it mostly for crossband & packet (Winlink), but hadn't used it in long time.

Since this radio appears to be brand new, never used or programmed before, could that battery have died in the meantime?  I mean the radio is relatively old, model wise, and it appears to have been stored in the original box, with all the original plastic bags, wraps & limited paper manuals.

Just a thought.

Lee Besing, N5NTG
210-771-7075
San Antonio TX


-----Original Message-----
From: David Ranch <tmd710@...>
To: TMD700A@groups.io
Sent: Sun, 05 Jun 2022 7:37 PM
Subject: Re: [TMD700A] TM-710A repairs...


Wow.. that was a very generous gift you received as the D710 is one of the best analog FM radios ever made if you ask me.  For your questions:

1. Replacement fans are pretty inexpensive to buy.  You can join the D710 list at TM-D710-and-TM-V71@kenwood-radios.groups.io and see the archives on this common topic but it's recommended to buy a quiet fan as the stock one is quite noisy.  One recommended one is the Noctua NF-A4x10 (40 x 40 x 10 mm)

2. Very strange on the hung TX.  Was anything connected to the 6pin connector on the back of the radio?  To your other question, a full factory reset of the D710 can be seen here and since it's a new-to-you radio, it won't hurt trying:

    Turn the D710 power OFF.
    Press the [F] key (second to the bottom left button next to the large knob) and then press the Power On button (upper right corner)
    Rotate the Tuning control and select your desired. reset type: VFO RESET, PARTIAL RESET, PM. RESET, or FULL RESET.  Do a FULL RESET
    Press in the large Tuning control knob to set the reset type. ?
    Press in the large Tuning control knob again to perform the reset.

--David
KI6ZHD


On 06/05/2022 03:56 PM, David McGuire wrote:
Hello everyone.  I have been out of ham radio for many years, and when I stepped back in a fellow ham gave me a TM-710A that he said was a spare.  It still had the film that covered the screen, and the cables were still in plastic bags and wrapped with twist ties.  Essentially a new radio.  I did not know that the radio needs a programming cable and software (my previous 2m radio just plugged in and turned on...).  A local ham came to my house with his programming cable.  He owns two of these radios and says that they are wonderful.  He connected the cables, and the antenna, and turned on the radio.  Two issues right off the bat: 1.  The fan is not working.  It makes a tick, tick sound as it tries to turn.  Using a pen to make it turn did not get it moving.  However, the clicking (as the fan continues trying to turn) remained.  2.  The screen displayed both the A and B VFOs, and the B VFO was transmitting.  The mic was not pressed, and he disconnected the mic as a check.  The B VFO continues to be in transmit mode.  So, would it be worth the cost of repair?  If so, are there any recommended shops?  There are none in my local area.  Thank you.  73 de David AE4LH


Randy Allen
 

Yes, there is a battery in the control head of the TM-D710A.  I've had to replace the one in my 2008 vintage D710A twice, usually when it starts giving me TNC Error on start up

The battery is : KEN-W09-0971-05

Which I purchased from PacParts :  https://www.pacparts.com/

Web page about changing the battery: https://bubbazanetti.blogspot.com/2013/06/kenwood-d-710-backup-battery-change.html

Hope this helps

73

Randy KA0AZS

On 6/6/2022 01:33, Lee Besing wrote:
I'm really wondering if there is a coin sized battery in the control head, like there us in the TM-D700 radio. I had to ship that radio back to Kenwood repairs to get it replaced (didn't know about the battery at the time) after it had sat in my spare radio suitcase for a year or longer, never powered up. I had used it mostly for crossband & packet (Winlink), but hadn't used it in long time.


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Philip Salley
 

Good Lord!  I had no idea the TM-700 had a coin battery  in the control head.  Mine has been truck mounted for over 20 years - installed in a 2000 GMC when new, never removed.  I'm guessing that being continuously connected to truck power all this time has kept things on an even keel.  Wondering if I should leave well enough alone, or check the battery?  Tnx and 73 to all, Phil / K4PO

 


Adam Mahnke
 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you drive your truck on a regular basis I would say that it's fine. 

Just my opinion,


73's
Adam Mahnke
KC2ANT


On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 1:36 PM Philip Salley <pcsalley@...> wrote:
Good Lord!  I had no idea the TM-700 had a coin battery  in the control head.  Mine has been truck mounted for over 20 years - installed in a 2000 GMC when new, never removed.  I'm guessing that being continuously connected to truck power all this time has kept things on an even keel.  Wondering if I should leave well enough alone, or check the battery?  Tnx and 73 to all, Phil / K4PO

 


Philip Salley
 

More, just did some brief research on the TM-D7xx control head coin battery.  That number appears to be a rechargeable battery, so connecting to power overnight might bring it back to life.  I looked up the  Sanyo ML614 specs that was featured on Randy's replacement instructions.   I'm leaving the truck mounted unit alone for now - ain't broke, don't fix.  Regards, Phil / K4PO


Herb
 

Now you got me thinking.

 

I have a D700 that was in my trailer connected to power but in the OFF position for over 6 months.  When I tried to turn it ON with the power button on the control head, nothing happened.  I have several D700’s so tried another control head and it worked just fine.  The control head in question does not allow me to turn the power ON on any of my other two D700’s either, so the problem is in that particular control head.

 

Could it be that the battery in the control head failed?  Anyone know what happens if that battery fails?  Anyone have any other hints for what the problem might be?

 

Herb

KB7UVC

 

From: TMD700A@groups.io [mailto:TMD700A@groups.io] On Behalf Of Philip Salley
Sent: Monday, June 6, 2022 10:36 AM
To: TMD700A@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TMD700A] TM-710A repairs...

 

Good Lord!  I had no idea the TM-700 had a coin battery  in the control head.  Mine has been truck mounted for over 20 years - installed in a 2000 GMC when new, never removed.  I'm guessing that being continuously connected to truck power all this time has kept things on an even keel.  Wondering if I should leave well enough alone, or check the battery?  Tnx and 73 to all, Phil / K4PO


_._,_


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Jess Haas
 

I also have a dead D700. I think it is the control head fuse and/or wiring but now wondering if I should swap the battery as well when I get around to trying to fix it.


On Mon, Jun 6, 2022, 1:20 PM Herb <hgerhardt@...> wrote:

Now you got me thinking.

 

I have a D700 that was in my trailer connected to power but in the OFF position for over 6 months.  When I tried to turn it ON with the power button on the control head, nothing happened.  I have several D700’s so tried another control head and it worked just fine.  The control head in question does not allow me to turn the power ON on any of my other two D700’s either, so the problem is in that particular control head.

 

Could it be that the battery in the control head failed?  Anyone know what happens if that battery fails?  Anyone have any other hints for what the problem might be?

 

Herb

KB7UVC

 

From: TMD700A@groups.io [mailto:TMD700A@groups.io] On Behalf Of Philip Salley
Sent: Monday, June 6, 2022 10:36 AM
To: TMD700A@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TMD700A] TM-710A repairs...

 

Good Lord!  I had no idea the TM-700 had a coin battery  in the control head.  Mine has been truck mounted for over 20 years - installed in a 2000 GMC when new, never removed.  I'm guessing that being continuously connected to truck power all this time has kept things on an even keel.  Wondering if I should leave well enough alone, or check the battery?  Tnx and 73 to all, Phil / K4PO


_._,_


Virus-free. www.avast.com