TM710G Installation questions

Bruce Goldstein

Just received my 710G which I am going to replace a Yaesu FT400XDR which I found to have lots of poor human factors in the areas of updating firmware and programming in general.

I have 2 questions about installing the 710G:

1. There are 2 speaker plugs on the rear.  If I am only going to use a single remote speaker do I plug it into the left or right plug?  Is there any advantage to using 2 spearate speakers?  The manual does not describe the function of either.

2. Is the sticky stuff on the front panel fan-shaped mount sufficient to hold to a dashboard?  Should I instead use strong velcro?  I do not intend to screw the mount into the dashboard.

Thanks and 73
-- Bruce, WA3AFS

Dennis Yard

Good questions.  I always wondered about the two speaker outputs as well.

As for the dashboard mount, I used it successfully on my Land Rover Discovery plastic binnacle.
I held fine on offroad trips and didn't shake off.

Dennis Yard
N1TEN

On Saturday, February 1, 2020, 03:29:21 PM PST, Bruce Goldstein <wa3afs@...> wrote:

Just received my 710G which I am going to replace a Yaesu FT400XDR which I found to have lots of poor human factors in the areas of updating firmware and programming in general.

I have 2 questions about installing the 710G:

1. There are 2 speaker plugs on the rear.  If I am only going to use a single remote speaker do I plug it into the left or right plug?  Is there any advantage to using 2 spearate speakers?  The manual does not describe the function of either.

2. Is the sticky stuff on the front panel fan-shaped mount sufficient to hold to a dashboard?  Should I instead use strong velcro?  I do not intend to screw the mount into the dashboard.

Thanks and 73
-- Bruce, WA3AFS

Mike Hickerson <w0mbh@...>

Hi Guys
The speaker jack that is closest to the outer edge of the radio deck will pllay "Both" sides of the radio through it.  That is the same as the built in speaker.
If you plug the external speaker into the 2nd speaker jack, that will play only the "B" side of the radio.
If you have two speakers plugged in, then the Left side will play the 2m side and the Right speaker will play the 440 side.  That way with two speakers,
you can tell which side is active.

No the sticky stuff is not strong enough to hold the control head.  There is double stick tape available at hardware stores that "IS" strong enough to hold.
I don'r remember the name of that, but that stuff is out there.

Mike WBØMH

Just received my 710G which I am going to replace a Yaesu FT400XDR which I found to have lots of poor human factors in the areas of updating firmware and programming in general.

I have 2 questions about installing the 710G:

1. There are 2 speaker plugs on the rear.  If I am only going to use a single remote speaker do I plug it into the left or right plug?  Is there any advantage to using 2 spearate speakers?  The manual does not describe the function of either.

2. Is the sticky stuff on the front panel fan-shaped mount sufficient to hold to a dashboard?  Should I instead use strong velcro?  I do not intend to screw the mount into the dashboard.

Thanks and 73
-- Bruce, WA3AFS

Lee Besing

Dennis,  if looking at the rear of the 710, the speaker plug on the right will do both sides. If you plug into the left side, it splits audio and you'll need to run for 2 speakers. I don't remember which side (A or B) gets split off.

I bought a generic dash beanbag mount on Amazon Prime and adhered the fan shaped mount to it. I'll try to attach photos.

I also bought some black foam board from Hobby Lobby and made a sun shield that I taped up with black matte tape (similar to duct tape).

Lee Besing, N5NTG
210-771-7075
San Antonio TX

[...]

Sorry Bruce, you were the one that asked the question about the mounting and the speaker connection. Hopefully my previous message answered that, if it goes through with the photos that I attached.

Lee Besing
210-771-7075
San Antonio TX

[...]

Jim Andrews

Welcome to the world of the D710 😊

A single external speaker in SP1 will cut off the internal speaker and everything comes out the external.

A single external speaker in SP2 sends the right-hand band to external, left-hand stays internal.

A two external speakers in SP1 and SP2 also splits the left and right bands, into separate speakers.

Note that the menu item Audio – 002 (Ext.Speaker) swaps the split audio (Mode 1 is as described above, Mode 2 left/right bands are swapped).

Oddly this is not described in the D710 manual. If you download the TM-V71 manual and look at page 71, there is a good explanation of it all (if you weren’t aware, the V71 and D710 are the same radio body, just different heads).

http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B62-1926-40.pdf

Is there any advantage – YES! I have speakers left and right side of the car, so when receiving I know which band the signal is being received on.

Jim

Just received my 710G which I am going to replace a Yaesu FT400XDR which I found to have lots of poor human factors in the areas of updating firmware and programming in general.

I have 2 questions about installing the 710G:

1. There are 2 speaker plugs on the rear.  If I am only going to use a single remote speaker do I plug it into the left or right plug?  Is there any advantage to using 2 spearate speakers?  The manual does not describe the function of either.

2. Is the sticky stuff on the front panel fan-shaped mount sufficient to hold to a dashboard?  Should I instead use strong velcro?  I do not intend to screw the mount into the dashboard.

Thanks and 73

-- Bruce, WA3AFS

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

Gee whiz, man; do you have to attach 12MB worth of pics to one e-mail?  Some folks in remote areas have limited bandwidth and/or storage capability due to limited internet service.

A better alternative is to post them online on one of many available sites, then include in your email a link to that site and the photos you want people to see.

Larry J. Ford
K4AEC

Good questions.  I always wondered about the two speaker outputs as well.

As for the dashboard mount, I used it successfully on my Land Rover Discovery plastic binnacle.
I held fine on offroad trips and didn't shake off.

Dennis Yard
N1TEN

On Saturday, February 1, 2020, 03:29:21 PM PST, Bruce Goldstein <wa3afs@...> wrote:

Just received my 710G which I am going to replace a Yaesu FT400XDR which I found to have lots of poor human factors in the areas of updating firmware and programming in general.

I have 2 questions about installing the 710G:

1. There are 2 speaker plugs on the rear.  If I am only going to use a single remote speaker do I plug it into the left or right plug?  Is there any advantage to using 2 spearate speakers?  The manual does not describe the function of either.

2. Is the sticky stuff on the front panel fan-shaped mount sufficient to hold to a dashboard?  Should I instead use strong velcro?  I do not intend to screw the mount into the dashboard.

Thanks and 73
-- Bruce, WA3AFS

> MIME Type: image/jpeg
> MIME Type: image/jpeg
> MIME Type: image/jpeg
> MIME Type: image/jpeg

Bruce Goldstein

Thanks for all your responses.  Very helpful.

I found out:

  • The manual in the box and the manual on the disk in the box are totally different (have the same name!).  The manual on the disk describes the different menu options in sufficient detail so that I determined which plug I should use so that the audio from both sides play through the remote speaker (Would be hard to hear the speaker in the radio since that is installed under the rear seat--which is next to the battery).
  • I went with the velcro to mount the control head (The previous radio in the car had used velcro so I found some compatible velcro and put it on the fan base.).

Took about an hour and half to install the radio in the car (and uninstall the Yaesu).  Luckily, the power cable from the previous radio (Yaesu) was compatible with the 710G saving me a bit of time.

Looks like I am going to be a happy user.

-- Bruce, WA3AFS

   Bruce, WA3AFS

Dennis Yard

Thank you for the helpful info.