Topics

Radio will reset every few times I turn it on

Eric Van Norman

Reading through this newsgroup it sounds like the battery may have gone kaput on the main board causing the radio to reset itself every few times I turn it on.

Any advice on replacement batteries? Send it in to get replaced? Get a battery and socket and solder that in? I wasn't really able to find good instructions on doing it myself.

Thanks in advance,

Eric, KF0S

David Ranch

Are you sure the radio isn't resetting when APRS tries to beacon?  Try turning off the TNC and see if it keeps resetting.   Also open up both fuse holders, remove the fuses and squeeze the holders together a bit.  Finally, are you sure the input voltage is good enough?

--David
KI6ZHD

On 08/08/2016 06:27 PM, kf0s@... [TMD700A] wrote:

Reading through this newsgroup it sounds like the battery may have gone kaput on the main board causing the radio to reset itself every few times I turn it on.

Any advice on replacement batteries? Send it in to get replaced? Get a battery and socket and solder that in? I wasn't really able to find good instructions on doing it myself.

Burt N Sammis

I read with interest your post on what might be the remedy on the D710 resetting.  With the GPS connected and operating, mine would reset each time a packet received.

I disconnected the GPS and walla, the D710 is OK.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Burt

AF5AA

Are you sure the radio isn't resetting when APRS tries to beacon?  Try turning off the TNC and see if it keeps resetting.   Also open up both fuse holders, remove the fuses and squeeze the holders together a bit.  Finally, are you sure the input voltage is good enough?

--David
KI6ZHD

On 08/08/2016 06:27 PM, kf0s@... [TMD700A] wrote:

Reading through this newsgroup it sounds like the battery may have gone kaput on the main board causing the radio to reset itself every few times I turn it on.

Any advice on replacement batteries? Send it in to get replaced? Get a battery and socket and solder that in? I wasn't really able to find good instructions on doing it myself.

David Ranch

Hello Burt,

For your D710 issue, this could be a power problem but maybe also SWR.� I would first try lowering the RF power on the TNC side and see if running on lower power levels lets you beacon (this both covers power draw but also potentially SWR issues). If you suspect DC power, start off with the fuse check.� If that doesn't help, then check the input voltage and maybe something has degraded in the power cabling area or maybe the car's battery.� Maybe try powering the radio from an AC power supply to compare.

--David
KI6ZHD

On 08/09/2016 05:32 AM, Burt Sammis kango03@... [TMD700A] wrote:
�

I read with interest your post on what might be the remedy on the D710 resetting.� With the GPS connected and operating, mine would reset each time a packet received.

I disconnected the GPS and walla, the D710 is OK.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Eric Van Norman

Hello David,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

I've tried two different power supplies, and I even operated a net after after the reset (and entering in the frequency) so I think the power supplies are OK.

I did open all 3 fuse holders and pinched the holders. They did feel tight before hand.

I don't see the TNC turned on and hadn't used that in years so don't believe that anything changed there.

I haven't tried opening up the rig to try and find the battery backup and verify it's voltage. I'm not sure that it's value being low, but leaving the radio plugged into a power supply, should cause the reset behavior. I would think not, but easily could be wrong.

I could try and find a computer with a serial power supply to actually reset the TNC as well if that makes sense.

Thanks,
Eric, KF0S

Eric Van Norman

I also disconnected everything I could. I left the antenna connected (again used radio to run the local net) as well as the display so I could turn it on. I disconnected the microphone and speakers. I could turn the unit on and off and it would try to reset every few times as it did earlier.

David Ranch

I've heard that once the internal battery in the D700/D710 head goes bad, the radio will continue to malfunction and the battery will NOT take a charge.  You'll need to open up the head and replace the battery first.

-David
KI6ZHD

ve7gtc

Have you tried a new power supply or checked to make sure there's no corrosion in the power cable. It really sounds like a power problem.