Topics

Question on Tones

Michael K. Boyea

Hello to the Group,

Is there a way to place rx tone and different tx tone in a channel?

Mike, KE4KMG

ray2amazon@...

Assuming you are talking about simplex, but it appears for my radios that repeater mode is the same.

None of my three radios (FT-8900R TM-D710A, TH-F6A) appear to directly allow split XMIT/REC tones (DCS or CTCSS).

Indirectly you can set side A and B to the same frequency and then set the tones differently on each one, then max squelch and minimum volume on one side for transmit and normal squelch and volume on the other to listen.

The question is, why would you want to split up the tones and use twice the resources? Sound like a recipe for interference.

Ray
K7RFW

Subject: [TMD700A] Question on Tones
To: "YAHOO GROUPS - D700A" <TMD700A@...>
Date: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 1:38 PM

Is there a way to place rx tone and different tx tone in a
channel?

Mike, KE4KMG

Noel Seeley

I believe the OP was referring to a repeater that has different tones for
TX/RX if I understand correctly. The TX tone frequency CAN be set
separately from the CTCSS frequency. I use the Kenwood software, and just
looked to be sure that this is possible.

Noel Seeley
K5NES

Date: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 1:38 PM

Is there a way to place rx tone and different tx tone in a channel?

Mike, KE4KMG

Luke Williams

You can set different tones for T and CT modes, but they only are used when you are in that mode. When in CT mode, I'm 99.9% certain that the CT tone will be transmitted. I actually found this out by changing one of my memory that was set as T with 114.8 to CT and wondering why I couldn't hear nor access the repeater. I hit T.SEL and found that the tone was set to 88.5.

We have a local repeater that has split tones and I'd love to be able to do this. I've not yet found a ham rig that would. It's common on most all commercial radios, though.

73,
Luke - AE5AU

Date: Saturday, August 3, 2013, 1:38 PM

Is there a way to place rx tone and different tx tone in a channel?

Mike, KE4KMG

noskosteve

Mike,

Unfortunately, no.

A single memory location can indeed store one parameter for the Tx "Tone" frequency and a second parameter for the "CT" frequency. Then there is a parameter that sets whether it is in the "T" or "CT" mode.
HOWEVER, when in CT mode the CT (Rx) frequency is used for both the Transmit Tone frequency and the Receive squelch frequency.
Setting aside two memories is the only way to get the effect you need.

If you have Excel 97 or later, on my site (below) I have a workbook that is very user friendly, that programs the D700 memories as well as other stuff. You will also see the two frequencies held in each memory, but in CT mode, the Receive one is used also for the transmit Tone.

Shame on Kenwood.

Sent from my KnightKit Crystal Set.
--
73, Steve, K9DCI USN (Vet) MOT (Ret) Ham (Yet)

I served during the cold war, so you can continue to be served a cold one.

Up to date APRS Beginner Guide - updated Oct-2011
http://K9DCI.home.comcast.net
Click the APRS Beginner INFO link under Contact

Manage Radio Memories with an Excel Spreadsheet !
Click to tune. Click to capture Radio freq.
All Memories on one page. Cut, Copy, Paste, Print 'em...
For:
TM-D700 | TH-F6A & F7 | TS-2000 | Icom 706MkIIG
All PMs |Real-time & memories | Sat mems too | Loads Mem Tones!
NOT D710|Also Kenwood.fx Files|TS-480 in Beta|

Laser Light show concepts coming in 2013.

Home Page:
http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/