From: "n9tbd@... [TMD700A]"
To: TMD700A@...
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:31 AM
Subject: [TMD700A] Question for the 710 owners out there.

I currently have a 700 that is going to move to the shack for the remainder of it's life so that means a new mobile unit for me and I am looking at the 710 having loved the 700 so much.

Now here is the question the cable for the face plate, is this a cat 5 plug or the funky phone plug's as is on the 700. Plus I know (as I did this) on the 700 you could use a cat 5 to extend the mic cable is this still the same on the 710?

Thanks in advance.

Pat (N9TBD)

David Ranch

Hello Pat,

Now here is the question the cable for the face plate, is this a cat 5 plug or the funky phone plug's as is on the 700. Plus I know (as I did this) on the 700 you could use a cat 5 to extend the mic cable is this still the same on the 710?

The radio body to D710 head connection is an RJ45 connector.  The radio body to microphone is also an RJ45 connection.  With that said, the cables themselves are special shielded cables to avoid common complaints found with classic CAT5 wire like "ticking on transmitted audio from the microphone", etc. when people try to use vanilla CAT5 wire and screw things up with non-strait through RJ45 to RJ45 couplers, etc.

Please see the archives here in this list and in the TM-D710_TM-V71@... group as this topic has been discussed (over and over and over).

--David
KI6ZHD

Pat Smith

Thank you David...

I would really only use a shielded cat 6 cable to start with and see how interference goes if none than done otherwise ferrite beads to the rescue (I hope).

Thanks,

Pat (N9TBD)

Pat Smith

Thank you David -

That is exactly what I was hoping for but as the other David mentioned shielding would be important.

Thanks,

Pat (N9TBD)