Topics

Programming frequencies into the radio

Ryan G <RyanGard@...>

Folks,

Have any of you found a way to use your computer to program frequencies and info into the TMD700A? I realize that when the radio was released from Kenwood, they created that program to use to program the frequencies in via computer, however it appears to only work for the pre-windows XP operating systems, add to that, the original programming cable (PG-5something) had that rectangular connection that you are supposed to use to plug into the back of your computer, which modern computers of course do not have, heck I haven't seen a terminal like that on laptops and PCs since the 90s... though the "game" or "Joystick" port may look a little similar to it. After doing a search on E-Bay I did find one of these, and did purchase it, however it's still not connecting with the radio using my current operating system of Windows 7. Any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-programming-cable-Kenwood-radio-TM-D700A-TM-D700E-/310701003816?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item4857391428

Dennis Griffin <eagleeyedennis@...>

RT Systems offers a software/cable package, or cable only, that works FB with the TM-D700's and all modern PC OS's.

73 de Dennis KD7CAC
Scottsdale, AZ

On Jul 10, 2013, at 8:31 AM, Ryan G <RyanGard@...> wrote:

Folks,

Have any of you found a way to use your computer to program frequencies and info into the TMD700A?

Noel Seeley

Ryan,

I use a Kenwood KCT-53 USB to serial adapter and a standard DB-9 serial cable (NOT NULL MODEM) connected to the radio. My laptop is an Emachines running Windows 7 home. I use the Kenwood MCP-D700 software that is available for free download at www.kenwoodusa.net. Seems to read and write OK, with no errors or inabilities to communicate with the radio.

Hope you get it working.

noeleo
K5NES

--- In TMD700A@..., Ryan G <RyanGard@...> wrote:

[...]

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

I use the Kenwood programming software with my TD-D700A running on a WIN 7 PRO
laptop.

Larry J. Ford
KG4GPJ

[...]

Charles Doughtie

I have used "Link700" as well as the Kenwood MCP with XP. Link700 can also program your D7 ht and possibly other radios also. IIRC there is a free trial version that is almost fully functional - except - it has a lot of "nag screens" that slow you down considerably. The paid version was very reasonable as I recall.

http://link700.software.informer.com/

http://wa3hrl.software.informer.com/

de Charlie, N5EXY, Grid EM10fl,
South Suburban Greater Hutto

Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag?

"I think the Yankees had something to do with it."
Gen. George Pickett on why the Confederate Army's final charge failed on July 3, 1863.

________________________________

[...]

Sorry, didn't read all the way through the original poster's message.

I do use the OEM Kenwood software to program my TM-D700A on a WIN 7 PRO
laptop, and I simply use a serial cable to connect to the 9-pin serial port on
the main body of the TM-D700A, and a Tripp-Lite Serial-to-USB converter cable
to connect to the USB port on the laptop.

Works like a charm, and I have never fooled with and have never even seen what
was described as "...the original programming cable (PG-5something) had that

John K9IJ <john@...>

From: Ryan G <RyanGard@...>
To: "TMD700A@..." <tmd700a@...>

> Folks,
>
> Have any of you found a way to use your computer to program frequencies and
info into the TMD700A? I realize that when the radio was released from
Kenwood, they created that program to use to program the frequencies in via
computer, however it appears to only work for the pre-windows XP operating
systems, add to that, the original programming cable (PG-5something) had that
rectangular connection that you are supposed to use to plug into the back of
your computer, which modern computers of course do not have, heck I haven't
seen a terminal like that on laptops and PCs since the 90s... though the
"game" or "Joystick" port may look a little similar to it. After doing a
search on E-Bay I did find one of these, and did purchase it, however it's
still not connecting with the radio using my current operating system of
Windows 7. Any thoughts?

One possibility is Chirp from
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

I haven't tried it on the TMD-700, but according to the homepage, the
700 is one of
the supported radios.

John - K9IJ

-

John Rice K9IJ
john@...
Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor

Duane N

I recently bought and used the following cables bought at amazon and confirm
it works with the Kenwood program software and Windows7 32bit.

Valley Enterprises USB to RS232 Serial DB9 Cable Adapter FTDI Chipset
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N9TYW0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UT
F8
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N9TYW0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=U
TF8&psc=1> &psc=1

Gender Changer
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005111M/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02?ie=UT
F8

john@... <mailto:john%40k9ij.net>
Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor

Ryan G <RyanGard@...>

Gentlemen, thank you very much for all the great feedback. I feel confident now that I can get this done.

[...]

noskosteve

If you have Excel 97 to current Win NT through 7 (don't know if Win 8 works yet) and either 32 or 64 bit system, I wrote code behind a Workbook to do all the memories, all the PNs and realtime control.

All memories are on ONE sheet and very user friendly input.

Features and information on my site 100 Free and open source.

I am also currently adding the TS480 to my TS-2000 version.

See my site below...

If you have the interface cble this wioll work - Serial port or USB.

Sent from my KnightKit Crystal Set.
--
73, Steve, K9DCI USN (Vet) MOT (Ret) Ham (Yet)

I served during the cold war, so you can continue to be served a cold one.

Up to date APRS Beginner Guide - updated Oct-2011
http://K9DCI.home.comcast.net
Click the APRS Beginner INFO link under Contact

Manage Radio Memories with an Excel Spreadsheet !
Click to tune. Click to capture Radio freq.
All Memories on one page. Cut, Copy, Paste, Print 'em...
For:
TM-D700 | TH-F6A & F7 | TS-2000 | Icom 706MkIIG
All PMs |Real-time & memories | Sat mems too | Loads Mem Tones!
NOT D710|Also Kenwood.fx Files| TS-480 in BETA

Laser Light show concepts coming in 2013.

Home Page:
http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/